Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 white Giulietta and my wife has a 2013 light blue Beetle.

What brands do you guys recommend in respect of polish, glaze, wax, clay bar etc.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Clay bar is easy - Bilt Hamber every time.

Glaze - .50 Cal Cover- Up glaze or good old AutoBrite Cherry Glaze.

Polish - pointless if you're doing it by hand, you may as well just use a glaze instead. If you insist then Megs Ultimate Compound is about the best by hand. By machine then Megs 205.

Wax - good old Autoglym HD Wax still holds up well against its competitors. Also the range of waxes from Soft99 (King of Gloss and Fusso) are brilliant and easy to use.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tommy.
How do you rate Auto Finesse or Mother's?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've not used Mothers in ages but I remember it was good.
Auto Finesse do some great products, I have their interior dressing but I've not used it yet. Once I've used my Pink Sheen up I'll give it a whirl.

Also worth looking at the OCD Finish products. I really rate their SnowDrift snow foam, Purple Haze fallout remover and Finishing Touch quick detailer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Whats the difference between a polish and a glaze? And why is it pointless polishing if you are doing it by hand?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
A true polish contains abraisives that remove scratches and swirls permanently, glazes contain fillers to fill scratches and swirls temporarily.

Modern paint finishes have a clearcoat/lacquer, you could polish a panel by hand all day and you won't generate enough speed or heat to remove the defects, this is why using a glaze is the better option by hand.

D

·
0 Posts
Tommy, i have just ordered some autobrite cherry glaze so if i wash the car then apply the glaze would i need to wax on top?

D

·
0 Posts
You don't NEED to as it contains wax, but it doesn't last that long. However, I would apply a wax just to keep the protection lasting that little bit longer.
Thanks mate, i might put the auto glym HD wax on top as that has good reviews but i also have megs as well :think:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Autoglym HD is a lovely wax to use. My absolute favourite Autoglym product. I put a coat on mine last week...
100% agree with this!

Applied a coat of Autoglym HD over the bank holiday weekend.. My first proper wax (always used the liquids/pastes before), and found it miles easier than anything else I;ve tried, and with much much much nicer results :thumbs:

Just need to pick up a pack of Bilt Hamber clay and I'll be away now ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Simple / stupid question...

As above its advisable to use a glaze rather than a polish.

When the car has been glazed - does it then still need waxing over the top?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Simple / stupid question...

As above its advisable to use a glaze rather than a polish.

When the car has been glazed - does it then still need waxing over the top?
Depends on the glaze as some contain a small amount of wax, but ideally yes, I would apply a wax over a glaze. Glazes contain fillers that hide imperfections such as swirl marks and minor scratches. These fillers are easily washed away by rain and general washing. So to keep the effects of a glaze working for as long as possible it's a good idea to wax over the top.
It's also worth noting that the wax won't last as long as advertised because the glaze breaks down underneath, but it should still last a month or two.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts