Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys a mechanic is refusing to fix something because he has put that he cant guarantee the repair on the receipt (which i didnt see) is there any thing i can do car is a non runner cause of this
the car has only done 40 miles since the repair

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I think we will need the full story before commenting TBH.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea need the full story..
there's a world of difference between a quick bodge to get you back on the road and a decent repair..
well it cost me nearly £500 so it not a quick bodge

it had a hole in the box told him to weld it (which the guy next door to him does) told me he used a glue instead which is just as good (yeah right my ar**)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If he charged you £500 to gun gum a patch onto an exhaust box he needs taking outside and shooting..

It was a bodge... an expensive one..

Ask him for your money back pronto.. go to trading standards.. with your reciept..

never heard anything so daft in my life..

Don't ask him.. TELL him!!..

bonkers..

·
Registered
20 Posts
to be honest i havent commented as i didnt think anyone would pay £500 to fix a hole in exhaust

i thought maybe something else ..................

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
guys a mechanic is refusing to fix something because he has put that he cant guarantee the repair on the receipt (which i didnt see) is there any thing i can do car is a non runner cause of this
the car has only done 40 miles since the repair
Sorry mate I'm a bit lost!

What did you pay £500 for, a repair to a box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
And how is this now a non-runner??

This thread is weird. Who is jasegtv? and what do you mean?

not sure what the question was m8 ? jasegtv is just a guy who owns a gtv and joined forum to share the alfa experiance !!

and what do i mean ?

if that was asked of my comment you cant help someone who cant help themself

the thread was hard to understand but if he did pay £500 to fix a hole in exhaust (im sure he didnt ) theres not many people who would !

i have repaired a gearbox using chemical metal before and it worked the only thing is to make sure the area you use it on is totaly clean and oil free ...

not being nasty or anything with any comments just stating the obvious

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still though, 500 quid to glue a hole in a gearbox? You could have replaced it with a secondhand one and labour fitting it for less then that.

So what's happened, the glue has let go?
Gearbox seized?

the car can move but is not holding any oil in the gearbox so i presume the glue has let go

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If you mean that you paid £500 for a 'glued on' patch on a cracked gearbox you were well and truly ripped off..

it is a bodge..

the only way to fix it is to replace the gearbox..

get your money back and spend the money on a good secondhand gearbox and fitting..

A good secondhand gearbox and fitting will cost less than £500

I would expect to pay no more than £20 for a 'chemical metal' bodge..

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Or insist that they remove it and weld the casing? I think aluminium welding would be an acceptable repair on a car of reasonable age/mileage.

Whatever you do, I think you should give them a chance to rectify their work as they see fit, AND ALSO establish that it isn't a new and unrelated problem, which is always quite a possibility and must be disproven before there is any obligation to rectify.

For £500 though, I'm sure you have some consumer rights - good luck. That's almost the value of some GTVs on offer in England!

-Alex

1 - 18 of 18 Posts