Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt has given me a Fiat Punto only problem is its in Birmingham with no tax or MOT - If I get it booked in for an MOT and insure it am I right saying that I can drive it to the testing station legally?

TIA :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hmmm I know it's OK if you have tax as well. Not sure if you haven't, ask the MOT station.

I always thought driving without tax will invalidate any insurance...

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Hey Moo :D

I think you are right - but it's a long time since I had to do that.

TBH if it's from Birmingham it has probably never had any tax or MOT so why change the habit of a lifetime :lol:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
I'm sure you're right but it is best to have a confirmed booking in case stopped by the police.

The only thing I'm not sure is if there is a caveat about the MOT station being a "reasonable" distance from where you happen to be when stopped.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Moo :D

I think you are right - but it's a long time since I had to do that.

TBH if it's from Birmingham it has probably never had any tax or MOT so why change the habit of a lifetime :lol:
Hi VD long time no see, hope ure all good ;)

Well I'll book it in for an MOT and see whats said.... I can assure you it has had tax and MOT before, my family may be Brummies but they are law abiding citizens ;):lol:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hi VD long time no see, hope ure all good ;)

Well I'll book it in for an MOT and see whats said.... I can assure you it has had tax and MOT before, my family may be Brummies but they are law abiding citizens ;):lol:
Us Brummies are all law abiding..............well we are in South Birmingham anyway, couldn't possible comment about them lot from the North of the city :p

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Find touchpaper.
Light.
Retire a safe distance

:D:p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you're right but it is best to have a confirmed booking in case stopped by the police.

The only thing I'm not sure is if there is a caveat about the MOT station being a "reasonable" distance from where you happen to be when stopped.
Hmmmm thanks for the info Jim, I think your right, hopefully if I do (unfortunately) get pulled over the officers reasonable.... :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
yes moo you can drive it to or from a testing station with no tax or mot as long as your insured.

i got stopped on my bike about twelve months ago while on my way back from having an mot cos it had no tax, the policeman checked my mot cerificate and let me on my way.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Birmingham is the uninsured car capital of England, so you will blend in a treat with the locals....

a thought that is in my mind everytime I venture to work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Simple - it has to be insured.
To get an MOT if the previous one has expired, you have to pre-book a time at a testing station and drive there by the shortest possible route.
The Road traffic Act makes no caveat for 'shortest possible route'.
It simply says...

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994
Schedule 2 - Exempt vehicles

22. - (1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle [from VED] when it is being used solely for the purpose of;

(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

(b) bringing it away from any such test or check.
The one thing to watch, is that the car is in a roadworthy condition because that will still be an offence regardless of the VED/MOT exemption...
ie, you could still get done for bald tyres.
Also you do need to check that your insurance will still cover you without the MOT/VED.

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
The Road traffic Act makes no caveat for 'shortest possible route'.
For sure - but the implication is there.
Try arguing that "yes the testing station was a mile away by the direct route but I needed to go via the coastal road and the children needed a picnic along the way".

·
Registered
943 Posts
For sure - but the implication is there.
Try arguing that "yes the testing station was a mile away by the direct route but I needed to go via the coastal road and the children needed a picnic along the way".
Obviously if you take the proverbial you are asking for trouble, but for example you could argue that you took the slower road because you didn't fancy taking an untested car on the motorway and hey, the kids were hungry, what could I do?:lol:

More seriously, there is no implication in the law that you have to take the shortest route, or even go to the nearest test centre... how far you want to push that and open yourself up to being accused of driving purposely somewhere else(a separate journey therefore illegal) before going to the test centre is up to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts