Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Said I would need some help/advice soon.

Going to look at a Feb 96, N, 2l w/b this weekend. Am told that wishbones and bushes, cam belt done -I will check the paperwork to see what mileage. MOT till June next year tho' may not mean anything.

I know I have to get underneath and get dirty looking for any leaks, and to check the boxes, and thats OK.
can you advise anything else I should look out for that will cost me a fortune if I miss it? if your advice is major technical I will have to get more help.

it needs new/recon rad as current one is starting to seap/weap/leak. any ideas on likely cost? and wiper motor.

mileage is 80k, has Firestone tyres - these any good?

am also told that it is still rosso red, not pink.
200mm scratch OSR wing, and a few supermarket dents. its up for 2300 which I want to negotiate down obviously but it is a London car (everything down here is overpriced).
thanks for the help.
Debs

G

·
With regards to the radiator I had a recon rad for my Alfa 75 and it cost about £90 3years ago.
ps What part of London are you????

G

·
Check the exhaust, electrics (especially the alarm!). Make sure he/she has receipts for the work done.

Tyres are not the best but check for wear anyway, especially inside front edges. Check it steers straight with no knocking.

Try and get the car on level ground and check the rear looks level looking from the back.

New rad is about £120 and not too bad to fit if you know a mate wink

btw, it is overpriced a bit, try around £1800 :D

wrinx

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Faster than I can say thanks.

so that's what the diesel noise is, cheers for that. :)
yeah, sent AndyMac a note but no reply obviously it would be far better to buy from one of us than an outsider.

has the red master key, all orig. handbooks, etc and the mechanical/electrical codes.

G

·
...just to add and re-iterate
it's waaaaaaaaay over priced darling :D :rolleyes:

but if you look at some of the (probably
gone now) threads you'll see that some have paid
silly money and others "silly" money :D :p

considering the work you've identified, I
would say £1500 tops if not less

u'll never sell it :mad:
(unless it looks super cool, which it may :confused: )

G

·
Speed, now this is something I've
probably NEVER noticed through stress
and the need to get to work faster
than a cat with a firework up his ass...but
is there no badge on the back to indicate
Diesel??.......I wallow in my ignorance :D wink
(let me off, I did drink some Albanian Brew last night)

G

·
The new wiper motor needed is probably Not needed. Just about every 155 has juddery/jerky wipers on intermittent wipe, but fine on continuous wipe. Do a search fo the forum about this. Most cases are cured by cleaning the electrical connections to the motor. They get all funky and greasy.
If the car is sounding like a diesel on startup you are looking at probably £300 I think to get the variator changed at a garage. I believe the belts and everything have to come off to do this. I don't know for sure as I've got a chain engine.
As someone said before, £1500 tops, even less if you have to get the variator done. Almost perfect 96 - N cars don't fetch much more than £2 - £2.5K these days. Have a check on the Autotrader website. The prices do vary a lot !!!

M

G

·
Have you considered buying a car out of the London region? A one hour drive could save you more money than it costs when you buy the car.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrinx, Barry, Speedfreak, Quin, all

HUGE thank you. your advice stopped me buying a lemon. needed a new exhaust from the cat back, alarm defunct, discs all round, only LH front suspension done.
so I mean it, thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.