Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2002 156 jtd turismo, it has started to tell me to go to the dealer as it cuts the power quite often when accelerating hard but then recovers and repeats.
I have been told by a dealer it needs new glow plugs but i never had a problem starting and running although the glow plug warning flashes for up to a minute after starting. They also said the turbo pressure was low and it needs stripping down to see what the problem is.
I have read a number of remarks on this on this site but am at a bit of a loss as to what to do .
The car has done 140k and does need a service - could that be something to do with it? I also think it still has the original battery but it seems to be fine.
This is my first Alfa, it looks superb and used ro drive superb but....
Any suggestions are very welcome ( well , perhaps not all of them!)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well what the dealer has done is read the error codes the ECU has stored ... if you are getting a glow plug warning then this will be recorded, and you're probably also getting a Boost warning ... the reason that the car has power loss is because when it detects a turbo problem the ECU dramatically reduces the power to ensure that the turbo doesn't break itself (too much) ...

... so sounds like your dealer is right ... although if I were you I'd change the glowplugs myself ... and tbh they are going to spend a fair few £££ taking the turbo out and examining it, but it is probably so subtle that they won't be able to "see" a problem, given that your car works most of the time ...

... I could be wrong though, the turbo might just need a good clean, in which case a product called "powerboost" (I think) comes recommended by Pud237 on here ... although I've not used it myself, but at £20 it might be worth a go ...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
it could be a split boost hose this will cut the power all of a sudden and when you take foot off accelerator and re accelerate will work to check for splits it is best to remove hoses and pull them about

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'd say your glow plugs and the turbo are seperate problems.

The cutting out will be probably be caused by a sticking VNT mechanism in the turbo, this causes overboosting under acceleration and sometimes underboosting in other situations (very high revs)

VNT mechanism is a ba5tard to clean up, maybe 2 hours work for a mechanic and will probably save you getting told you need a new turbo at the stealer!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
with niel and ricer, seperate issues, overboost or lack of is probably a split pipe or leak between the turbo and inlet manifold.

Glow plugs will need attention if the light flashes for 30 secs after starting, you don't need diogs to work that one out, the handbook tells you so!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestions, i will check the hoses, could the glow plugs issue cause a problem elsewhere even though they dont seem to give a problem starting and running?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
thanks for the suggestions, i will check the hoses, could the glow plugs issue cause a problem elsewhere even though they dont seem to give a problem starting and running?
No, they preheat the cylinders to help the car start, after that they hold heat into ignite the compressed mixture, but if the car starts and runs then they will be OK, the hose spliting is a very common TD problem on all makes.

·
Vendor
45,441 Posts
with niel and ricer, seperate issues, overboost or lack of is probably a split pipe or leak between the turbo and inlet manifold.

Glow plugs will need attention if the light flashes for 30 secs after starting, you don't need diogs to work that one out, the handbook tells you so!
Sticking VNT mechanism would be my suggestion also, if its not a split hose or intercooler. Split hose and intercoolers normally don't throw up a code, just the car doesn't pull well and theres lots of black smoke. I'm talking from experience on a 10v JTD, things might be different if this is a later 16v..

I had the glowplug warning light for 30k miles and nearly two years and didn't do anything about it in my old JTD, car always started immediatly even in the middle of winter, never ran on just 4 cylinders or anything..

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I had the glowplug warning light for 30k miles and nearly two years and didn't do anything about it in my old JTD, car always started immediatly even in the middle of winter, never ran on just 4 cylinders or anything..

... and it's very cold were you live considering that you're near the artic circle:D

·
Vendor
45,441 Posts
... and it's very cold were you live considering that you're near the artic circle:D
Yeah, you couldn't even drink a shandy up here it would just freeze right over.. :p :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yeah, you couldn't even drink a shandy up here it would just freeze right over.. :p :lol:
tell me about it ... I was born in Saltburn, I remember once staying at my Grans house, which was directly by the North Sea, which had no heating in the middle of winter ... bloody hell was that cold!!! I remember trying to use my own breath to try and keep warm!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, i had a lot of black smoke a when accelerating a few months ago, it was a split hose since replaced and no smoke so I guess it isnt a hose problem, I am going to try some PowerBoost this weekend

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
does it have a sooth filter ? these have to be regenerated to burn off the sooth inside, there is a special procedure in Examiner to do this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has the ECU been remapped ? I agree with the above, glow plugs are meant for the start not much to do with the turbo which is controlled by the ECU if i m not wrong.

I can only think of a remapped ECU or a filter clogged ... diesel or air.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
a clogged filter for sure !!! I have seen a couple of them... no ooomph at all... its like sticking a potatoe in an exhaust !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts