Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Need some help here with fuel consumption as I looked on other threads and couldn't find the right answers.

I am looking to buy an old car for my 70 miles commuting (mainly motorway). Started to look at very old diesel's (golf's mk3, 306's and so on) as I used to drive a focus tdi and it averaged about 50 mpg.

But after looking at some petrol versions of 146 and 156's, I thought that they could be an option too - as I really really want an alfa again.

I know that they won't be as economical, of course, but it might be worth it. Problem is, I need your advice or realistic figures for average mpg on the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 TS engines for both cars as this will be important to make a decision.

Thanks,

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get 310 miles out of a full tank from my 1.6 TS mainly moterway driving (below 50 mpg) but
way below that in town driving. These engines really arn't that economical, i blame it on the sound of the engine, it tells u to just let the revs loose! :lol:

I'd say its worth it though becasue you wont be driving something boring.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My GT 2.0 barely gets 35 on the motorway :D

Why don't you look at diesels? The JTD 156 and 147's will happily post 50mpg on a motorway.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I get about 30 mpg on average from my 156 2.0ts.
What it lacks in economy it more than makes up for in smiles per gallon.

D

·
0 Posts
Is it just me, or is there not much difference then between MPG on the 1.6 Twinny and the V6 versions of the 156??? I used to get around 300 miles to a tank, MAXIMUM, and that was in my V6, now people are saying their little Twinny's only kick out a few more miles before you gotta stick in more go juice.

So, get a 156 V6 mate, :D :thumbs:

:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,

I drive a minimum of 50 mules a day on varied roads, about 60% of which are fast A roads.

I drive at varied speeds (some experimenting and some just as the mood takes me)

I average between 400-450 miles per tank, that's about 28-34 mpg in 1.8 TS 156.

You can get better if you drive economically and/or your on a decent motorway run, as with any car.

That said, I usually arrive at my destination with a smile on my face :). More than can be said for "any car".:D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I generally get about 380 miles out of a tank in my 146 Ti. That's made up of short journeys and driving it very 'enthusiastically' shall we say down back roads to and from work when I'm running late (most of the time).

With some longer runs thrown in sitting at a constant 80 ish I have seen 400.

I don't know how big the tank is on a 156 in comparison, but with petrol at 97.9p after 400 miles it cost me £54 until it was full and clicked.

I think that's quite impressive for a 2.0 Alfa and not trying to drive economically!

My 146 1.6 Boxer was hilarious. Short journeys 220-240. I once got 300 but that was a constant 60 all the way in fog on a very long trip.

The Boxers sound nice but mpg probably similar to the 3.0 V6!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
What about unleaded fuel types for the 2.0 TS engine.

Is there a better fuel to use in the engine, eg Unleaded or Super unleaded or Optimax, or is it a waste of cash?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use Optimax, get about 120miles to £20, but my heads been heavily ported and polished. Would be cheaper to fly by helicopter!!! lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just checked the original manual. It says

The vehicle imposes the use of four-star unleaded fuel with an octane number (R.O.N) above 95

Does that mean 95 RON and above or above 95 RON?

S

·
0 Posts
I get 400 miles from a full tank in my 146 ti 2.0. I always try to drive econmically but its not easy when you have an engine that likes to rev:cheese:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Filled my 166 up today, reset the trip and tried to drive economically,
This was going really well for about 2 miles then I got stuck in traffic behind a lorry (BMW with barry boy in front of me). Next roundabout is 2 lanes on the exit so we all go for right lane BMW was in my way, so I booted it when he moved over.
So 400yds or so of heavy right foot in a 2.5 V6 and my economy drive was over :lol:
BMW caught up when I was doing 30 in a 30 (what was I thinking?) but lost him again when back in a 60, he caught me again in next 30, how do they do that its a 30 limit , I am doing 30 mph couldn't even see him in my mirrors when I entered yet within 1/4 mile he is up my **** again ?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've just picked up another 147 1.9JTDm (6 speed - 150 Bhp), as a courtesy car.
This is the 4th one I've had as a courtesy and yet it still surprises me everytime.
90 mile journey back from Portsmouth to North London (A3/M25), foot to the floor most of the way and it still knocks out 45mpg. :)
I've owned two 2.0TS's and two 3.2V6's. Both of which can be heavy drinkers when thrashed, but for some reason the diesel loves it!
Stick it on cruise control and it will give you up to 60mpg. :thumbs:

Other than the start up, its very quiet and if I'm truthful it will certainly give my V6 a run for its money at the lights. :)

I'm a petrol-head through and through and I've driven pretty much every car on the road and I have to say this is the only diesel I've ever praised. There's good reason Alfa diesels are now considered to be better than the likes of BMW.

If you can cope with the Focus TDi, then you'll have a hoot in 147JTDm.
I've driven both and there's certainly no comparison.
It might be a diesel but this baby is an Alfa through and through. :thumbs:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your comments,

I totally agree with you on how I’d enjoy driving an alfa :thumbs:
But I have to think about mpg’s too and to make it possible, it would need to average 40 mpg - diesel's would’ve been great but they’re out of my budget :(

Now, this is my theory: for what I’ve read, it might be possible to get 40 mpg- or maybe I am being too optimistic/biased here :D I am taking in consideration the fact that out of the 70-mile commuting, 65 are motorway miles and usually without traffic. Also thinking that I won’t be speeding too much – where’s the angelic emoticon??

Tell me guys, is there a real change of an 1.8 average 40 mpg on motorways or am I dreaming here and following my heart? Mind you, “il cuore ha sempre ragione” :lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I know I have a kind of vested interest here, at legal motorway speeds the worst thing you would get in my 146 is an acheing ankle from how little you are touching the throttle.

P.S. I am not the new member who has posted above :)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
get a Tipo or Tempra or Marea diesel, cheap as chips last forever, and save your pennies for a nice Alfa for the weekends

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
K9d, yea. . .the positioing of the pedal is a bit silly!!! hahaha when i got my 2nd QV, because i hadnt driven one for so long, i had cramp in my foot for about 2 weeks! Its ok if you put your foot down tho, you can just rest it then hahaha.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thank you all for your comments,

I totally agree with you on how I’d enjoy driving an alfa :thumbs:
But I have to think about mpg’s too and to make it possible, it would need to average 40 mpg - diesel's would’ve been great but they’re out of my budget :(

Now, this is my theory: for what I’ve read, it might be possible to get 40 mpg- or maybe I am being too optimistic/biased here :D I am taking in consideration the fact that out of the 70-mile commuting, 65 are motorway miles and usually without traffic. Also thinking that I won’t be speeding too much – where’s the angelic emoticon??

Tell me guys, is there a real change of an 1.8 average 40 mpg on motorways or am I dreaming here and following my heart? Mind you, “il cuore ha sempre ragione” :lol:
You do have the best traffic conditions there, but I do think it is a pipe dream to think you'll get consistently better than 35mpg in any 1.8 petrol.

AND THEN to spend big money to change cars, just to save bits here and there makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my first alfa last week, 156 2.0 TS 2000... It trully is a joy to drive (my previous car was golf mk2 GTI)

Logged the MPG on my first long run which was roughly 400miles... Did a click fill up to try and get an exact MPG.

I drove very sensibly and was pretty much all motorway and got just over 33-34MPG (70-75mph avg with 2 big stretches of 50mph for roadworks)...

So in summary was roughly 13p a mile with petrol at 98.9p I believe.

My old Mk2 1.8 GTI 8v did 35-38 on motorway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts