Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had to buy a new window mech, as my cable snapped. also got a new door handle bracket, as I noticed mine was very rusty about a year ago.

anyway, I hear this job is fiddly and a bit of a pain. what tips, methods, order of doing things have people got?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tips: Do not undo the little tag until you got it around as many pully wheels as possible. Don't pull too hard on the cable as you are installing or the tag will come off and the cable unravel.
I put a tie wrap aroun the cable to keep it tight to the winder reel and this avoids the problem.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Albero certainly is correct about not loosening the tensioning tag until it is, as far as possible all in place. And when you do make sure it is still under tension. I foolishly removed the tag to soon and watched in horror as the whole wire reel uncoiled in a second like to look like a slinky spring gone mad. Managed to get it all roughly back in place but every time I raise and lower the window I am rewarded with a hideous graunching sound as the cables try to sort themselves out on the drum.

IIRC there's a 1/4 turn tensioning on the actual handle bracket. So trick is to lay the cable round the pulley then use that last 1/4 turn on the handle bracket to tighten it up. It's all pretty obvious once you get the door cards off.

While you have cards off just check the plastic door liner is there. If not you can cut one out of any large plastic sheet and lay over, I just lightly copydexed it in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts