Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would throw this out to the AO experts who may have some views on how best to pursue this, I do'nt feel inclined to just continue driving around subsidising someone else who has copied my number plates.

History:
Recieved an NTO (Notice To Owner)in mid January of a parking ticket from Islington Council for parking in a residential permit space , the reported offense being in November last year. Knowing my car had never been in that road I asked for photographic evidence which was emailed in fairness quite quickly. Different model of car and certainly different year etc.. same number plate however. Explained to the council concerned that my car was not the same model et which they accepted and cancelled the ticket.

Meanwhile contacted the Met Police who gave me a crime number and said it was becoming a real problem, hopefully the person responsible would be caught out when the DVLA re-issued my car with a new id and the old plate triggering an ANPR alert.

Spoke to DVLA Cardiff who requested I take the cars log book, tax disc, copies of the councils NTO, pictures of offending vehicle and covering letter to their local office. After waiting 40 minutes told this was wrong I could'nt surrender anything until DVLA Swansea launched an investigation on my request that they look into it. I would need to return once they had completed this process and issued me with a new registration number and log book. Typical I thought, but thats modern Britain:confused:

This morning received a letter from DVLA Cardiff, log winded but I will quote,
"Our vehicle record shows you are the registered keeper of the above vehicle. There is no evidence on our records to suggest that there are two vehicles bearing the same registration number.

You should contact the office that issued the notice/ticket advising them of the situation, enclosing a copy of this letter. You should also contact the local police, who have procedures in place to deal with motorists in this situation.

If there are two vehicles displaying the same registration number there is nothing further we can do at this point in time unless the police or other law enforcement agencies are able to trace the other vehicle concerned, or an application to register or tax the other vehicle is made to the DVLA. Should this matter become problematic or you receive further notices, please contact us"

:rant:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I know it puts you out of pocket but would a cheap private plate from DVLA registrations do the trick?

From £250 including transfer fees and quite simple to do.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I'd search around PistonHeads, you could just post there asking but it's likely there's already some stuff there on this. I'll go look for links.

The DVLA being rubbish does seem to be the norm judging by PistonHeads. :(

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have a friend who has a private plate "??? 1" which has been in her family for years...she has it on a Honda Jazz - and has had umpteen "Notices" for it being reported on a Mercedes (IIRC) in and around London......it took a long time but she now has a fairly well established routine to prove that her car hasn't mysteriously changed shape and moved 200 miles South on a regular basis.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts