Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to change the upper rad hose tomorrow, and I need to get the right size clips. I can see that on the 'non-radiator' side it says 35mm-45mm, but on eper it says 45, 50 and 55mm. The clip on the rad side looks slightly smaller which has got me questioning it.

Has anyone got experience of this?

Additionally, when changing the tube, I assume as long as the engines cold there should only be a small amount of coolant to collect, or am I wrong in thinking that?

Any tips are most appreciated, thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Better to have slightly bigger. Take the clip off and take it with you or measure it. When you take the hose off coolant will fall to just below the hole. Add new coolant as required run the engine until the thermostat opens and it's running around everything including the heater -make sure it's on and add more coolant if necessary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Better to have slightly bigger. Take the clip off and take it with you or measure it. When you take the hose off coolant will fall to just below the hole. Add new coolant as required run the engine until the thermostat opens and it's running around everything including the heater -make sure it's on and add more coolant if necessary.
Thanks for the response.

Couple of questions:
How will I know when the thermostat opens?
How do I know whether it's running around everything including the heater?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Set the heater controls to hot. Run the engine with the expansion tank cap off and top up if necessary. The top hose will get hot when the thermostat opens. Put the cap back on and let the car get up full temperature and the fans come on and check for leaks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Set the heater controls to hot. Run the engine with the expansion tank cap off and top up if necessary. The top hose will get hot when the thermostat opens. Put the cap back on and let the car get up full temperature and the fans come on and check for leaks.
That's brilliant, thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed it last night.

Ended up emptying the entire contents of the expansion tank on the garage floor, but luckily I had some to refill it :p

No more leaks now!

Thanks for the help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts