Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leaving carbs behind 20 years ago and being a convert to throttle bodies and EFI...I now find myself back at the start!
I've just bought a 105 Spider 2000. It's going for an engine rebuild soon as it's low compression on a couple of cylinders and at 140K miles (I think!) probably could do with a bit of TLC. As it is there is a slight misfire, which feels fuel related, when the throttle is just opened and feels like the engine is just running lean for a second or too. The carbs fitted are Solex which I intended getting rebuilt but have been slightly swayed by the chance to buy a pair of what look like good condition Webers for about £300 jetted and ready to go. I presume they will be almost a straight swap...

So what to do, try a basic service kit for the Solex at £80 or bite the bullet and go for the Webers...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Some discussion here about Solex vs Webers, have the Webers been rebuilt correctly with the right jets? - if not you might end up spending a shed load getting them sorted - personally speaking I'd strip the Solex's and inspect before making a decision, I never likes Solex's much - I had one on my Alpine which I swapped for a 28/36, so much better but then the Solex might have been worn out
Solex vs Weber - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I've had weber, solex and dellorto carbs on different cars, one set of webers and the dellorto's were a pain and I never managed to get them right, the other set of webers and the solex's have been great.

I think it all about the set up not the carbs, spend some money on refurbing the solex's and having them set up properly and they'll be fine.

If you do go for the webers though then yes it is a straight swap.

Edit - I've just read the linked posts and the Solex's don't seem to get much love, notably that they don't deliver as much power for the same amount of fuel.

With this in mind, if you're cars a keeper and you've got the cash then id be tempted to go for the weber's.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,256 Posts
Did I imagine it or read it somewhere that the the throttle spindles/throttle body can wear on the Solex? This might be worth checking before you start to put money and time into a rebuild. Worn throttle spindles may account for the idle/low rev issue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ditch the Solex's, get a pair of Webers, either 40DCOE 32's, 27's , 28's or 151's. You'll not regret it.

If they're jetted incorrectly, I will sell you the correct jets for £1.75 per jet.

Try and make sure you get a pair with 32mm chokes, as a new set of chokes is £50.

It will be difficult to find a really good pair of 27's, 28's or 32's, as they're obviously much older, and were only fitted to Alfa Romeo's.
You could also fit 18's or 31's, both originally Lotus Elan & Cortina fitment, but again, finding a good pair etc.

40 DCOE 151's are newer, and are likely to be in much better condition, and they don't suffer from throttle spindle play as they have roller bearings, and USUALLY don't suffer from the dreaded damp inside the float chamber, as they have much better rubber top gaskets.

Go for the best pair you can find, don't buy those that look filthy dirty and with any form of aluminium oxide on the outside, particularly earlier models. Those which have it on the outside invariably have it on the inside, and it can be the death of a DCOE, very difficult to get rid of.

Don't believe the crap you will see regarding Spanish manufacture DCOE's. They are just as good as the earlier Italian manufacture, only the "crispness" of the castings is below par in comparison. Early Spanish DCOE's got a bad name, as a batch came out in the late 1980's with porous castings. This was remedied very quickly, and I have not seen any like this over the past 6 years, and I handle anywhere between 50 and 100 sets of 151's / 152's every year.

Don't be tempted to buy the "reproduction" DCOE's you will see currently advertised on Ebay, from Australia and otherwise.. They're cheap, look ok from 2 yards, but are Chinese copies and are garbage. I had one apart at Classic Le Mans last year, on the stall of a European Supplier, on the context of seeing the jetting set-up. New, in the box, almost all the jets were different sizes, even though they were marked up the same. You didn't have to measure them, it was clear by eye !

I have a pair of 151's on my Lightweight car at the moment, and they're great as they also have the added benefit of auxiliary airscrews, which means you can balance the two carbs very accurately, even if there is any twist in the throttle spindle, (which is rare, as all 151's have steel spindles, not like the earlier brass ones). I've also sold a lot into the Lotus Elan fraternity, as they struggle with an old tired pair of DCOE18's, they keep the 18's for originality, and fit 151's to give them back their ease of balancing and adjustment.

Hope that helps,
Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd get rid of the Solex's. I'd once had a pair, could get any spares at the time, suprised if things had changed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.