Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking to purchase my first car (after 4 long years since passing my test!), and I am currently deciding between a Volvo S60 and an Alfa, ideally a Giulietta. I will have around £5k-£6k to spend, so obviously I will be looking at second hand models.

Would it be possible for someone to advise me on things to look for, any common problems and some advice in general?

I know Volvos are renown for reliability, but how do the newer Alfa models compare? Unfortunately the price budget means i am looking at 100k+ in terms of mileage. Are the diesel engines in the Giulietta as reliable?

From what I have read, I believe (correct me if I am wrong) all models of the Giulietta (c. 2010-2012) come with Start Stop, but could someone tell me what models have bluetooth? Ideally I am looking for a car with bluetooth or, at the very least, an aux-in cable.

I should hopefully be viewing and test driving a Giulietta tomorrow, but going by the looks of the car, I am almost certain I will be getting one!

Thanks,

Matt :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I general the Giuliettas have been pretty reliable. The two diesel engines have been in production for a long time (and sold by Fiat Power Trains to lots of other car manufactures like GM Europe, Suzuki and others).
Early on the Multi Air engines had some problems, most will have been repaired under warranty.
I bought a Giulietta 120 Turbo petrol 8 month and 7500 miles ago. I've had no problems with it so far (knock on wood). Before that I had a Fiat Bravo 120 Turbo petrol (mechanically very much the same car) that I had for 4½ years and 45.000 miles and no problems with that either.
I've chosen petrol cars as I do lots of short drives and not enough miles annually to make a diesel engine variable.
What ever you chose good luck.
NB! I've had lots of Alfas and really never had any real issues with any of them.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Check the cambelt has been done...

The early ones should be changed around now, no matter what the mileage is.

Multi Air Units have been known to occasionally fail. On the Diesels the main failure point is the EGR cooler cover.

Most older cars should have these issues addressed by now.

Also on all versions make sure it goes into 1st gear easily. Some early cars had to have replacement gearboxes, but some could have slipped through the net.

There's plenty of threads on here with regard to these issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts