Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a broken LCD in my 147 Sele (Pic1)

I've had a chat to someone who recommended before I buy a replacement (£500 new, £120 used- the whole speedo head) I check to make sure that it's the LCD itself is the fault and not just the backlighting.
So I took apart my dash head today and took some pics, just so anyone searching in hte future can be sure what the insides of the unit looks like (pics 2 & 3).

This proves I think that the definite horizontal cut-off is surely the LCD, and can't be the backlighting.

Figured this may be of use to someone searching the furum in the future

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got another post going about looking for a breakers yard to supply a replacement. Looks like they'll only supply the whole speedo head.
I've had one price of £120 (in stock) and another of £35 (But none in stock atm :( ) I'm still searching, hoping to get a replacement sorted before the day is out!

·
Registered
822 Posts
if you just want the screen and your sure it will come off the main unit just give the unit in the breakers yard a gentle tap so the clear plastic lense has a good old crack in it or somthing like that, so they couldent possibly charge full price for it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm struggling to find a breaker's yard that has any Alfa's :(
The one's I've tried either don't have one or want to charge me £120!
Does anyone know of a breaker's yard near them with any 147's in it?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
humm to be fair its gonna be hard.......exchange and mart is a good bet, and i think £120 is a fair price..........youll be lucky to find one cheaper then £100 i would have thought!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found one! See my Breaker's yard thread! £65 for the complete speedo head. That was close though, I was almost ready to pay £120!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Ben B said:
I've got a broken LCD in my 147 Sele (Pic1)

I've had a chat to someone who recommended before I buy a replacement (£500 new, £120 used- the whole speedo head) I check to make sure that it's the LCD itself is the fault and not just the backlighting.
So I took apart my dash head today and took some pics, just so anyone searching in hte future can be sure what the insides of the unit looks like (pics 2 & 3).

This proves I think that the definite horizontal cut-off is surely the LCD, and can't be the backlighting.

Figured this may be of use to someone searching the furum in the future
Ben we live in the throw away age...No one,well very few anyway (except possibly you and me go so far into the unit.)
My 3.0 V6 166's dash showed the mileage but the backlight didn't work...AS I had taken the speedo head apart on the 2.5 166 I knew what I was in for. So I left it with the intention of one day fixing it....About 2 weeks ago I noticed it was working and has done ever since...No idea why it never worked from last may when I bought the car.

I have a central heating thermostatic programmer in the hall or our house.It woked fine for years and then it kept tripping the circuit breaker. Its aHorstamnn Centaurstat7....£30.....The technology in it is amazing....LCD display and no obvious connections.Took quite a bit to piece it back together...I would have been better buying a new one...The faulty relay costs about £15...A whole new unit is now about £24.

If its just the oddometer..I would put it back together and use it if everything else works.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the new unit arrived today, and it's all fitted and working.
I put the LCD into my current speedo head, as the computer would probably not like the head from another car (the odometer was flashing when I test fitted it).
£65 for a little LCD seems a little steep I guess, but it's the main display for all diagnostics and everything, so it was annoying me at wasn't working.

I know what you mean Pomeo, a car like an Alfa is even less likely to have owners fiddling with things this specific, as most problems are dealer-only due to the chips and things that tie them to the car.
I was shocked to find out that even the electric window switch is electronically tied to the car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts