Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my 3.2 re-mapped, and an induction kit fitted. And it ROCKS. But now I need to turn my attention to the brakes!

Dunno if all 3.2 Spiders have unimpressive brakes - there's a lot of weight to stop, I guess. And the re-map guys recommended having braided brake hoses fitted as a start. I guess I'll need new (vented discs), too?

And I'd like to know if it makes much of a difference. It'll be a serious investment, costing around £600 for the discs, a hundred for the brake hoses, plus whatever it costs to fit it all. Ouch!

So: opinions, please. I'm grateful for any comments and advice.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
IMO the hoses and discs wont make much difference to your brakes at all unless they are totally worn out , braided hoses will only make the pedal a bit harder when pushing on, they dont improve poor brakes.

What will make a huge difference are the brake pads, look at what the GTA and GTV guys are using. I cant recommend Ferodo DS2500 pads enough, they are many times better than Alfa pads with practically no down sides.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - and also a significantly cheaper option!
Cheers, Pascs!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If you have the 330mm Brembo setup, PF's are the way to go!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummmm... don't want to look stupid, but what are "PFs"?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great - really useful info. And as mine is the Brera Spider (is that the 946?), then it should have the 330s....

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Great - really useful info. And as mine is the Brera Spider (is that the 946?), then it should have the 330s....

Thanks!
They will fit your lovely 3.2:cool:

Ned from Autolusso does them with racing brake fluid for around £250 fitted (IIRC). You should get a bit of a discount too, if you're a paid up AO member:D

The pads are ace. Really fantastic. There is some dust but it's easily removed if you keep on top of it and seal the wheels;)

Cheers,

Simon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ned from Autolusso does them with racing brake fluid for around £250 fitted (IIRC).
Simon - you on commission or something? lol lol
Seriously, thanks for that. I'll book it in later (a little nearer to pay-day!)

Cheers mate,
Dave

·
Registered
831 Posts
yes, go for PF - don't make the same mistake I did listening to some salesman and getting EBCs :(
on the other hand, where did you found braided hoses for your car?

·
Registered
831 Posts
yes, but those are for GT, not for 939 and as far as I know the brakes are different and the hoses are specific for the brakes.
asked that because I've been searching for braided hoses for my 159 as well and couldn't find any...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toshy - ohhhhh [email protected]
I hadn't realised that these wouldn't fit. I clicked on the Brera tab, assuming that the Spider and Brera have identical running gear....

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Another vote for Performance Friction brake pads. Get them fitted with racing brake fluid and braided hoses all round. Only replace the discs if you need to, they won't make much difference really.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
yes, but those are for GT, not for 939 and as far as I know the brakes are different and the hoses are specific for the brakes.
asked that because I've been searching for braided hoses for my 159 as well and couldn't find any...
I had hosesolutions uk make me up a set of braided front hoses for my Ferrari calipers to fit on my 156. I just gave them the length and hose fittings I needed and the next day the hoses were ready £30 including UK postage :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You often find these so called performance hoses are a narrower internal diameter than the stock items and have a negative effect 0 take care!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts