Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

im from sydney and ive been looking for a set of nice alloy wheels for my 75 but im having extreme diffuctly trying to find anything either 17inch or 18s.

If possible show me some photos on the car or some links thanks.

:)

·
Registered
589 Posts
my 16s rub like ****, so i cant advise any bigger, 17s or 18s will seriously **** the handling. will look nice though.

A

·
0 Posts
16s are the max I would reccomend. I had 17s nd not only did they rub like hell, the handling was flipping awful - it would tramline and wander in a straight line, I switched to 195/45 16s and now she handles like a dream. It's been said before but it is possible to 'over tyre' a car.....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm using 16" wheels with a 30mm offset. It is larger than standard, but it means I can use 205/45R16 Goodyear F1 GSD3s without rubbing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is a strange topic really as i have had 3 75s with 17s and my dads current 75 has 17s i actually run 18s! with a 205/40/17 tyre none of our cars have rubbed at all not even on full lock. i know a 215 rubs the wheel arch liner on full lock. And as for handling with the standard bushes in the rods that mount in the inner wing the 17s worked them harder which as most are shot appeared to make the handling worse but replace them with the poly bushes which are about £25 and the 17s are the perfect size wheel for the 75. anything smaller has a sidewall that is to big so the tyre roll is bad and anything bigger requires alot of work and upsets the car unless you really sort out the suspension properly. Only my opinion of course but the 17s also look the best or 18s if you feel brave enough.

·
Registered
316 Posts
oh all this is dependant on the offset obviously!!! Are you guys complaining of rubbing getting rubbing from the top of the tyre on the inner wing over bumps?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
oh all this is dependant on the offset obviously!!! Are you guys complaining of rubbing getting rubbing from the top of the tyre on the inner wing over bumps?

With 2.5 degrees of negative camber, I don't.:D I still wouldn't advise going over 16". They really do harm the handling. Rememberr the whole point of the 75 is it is a balanced machine which allows the driver to take liberties and produce large drifts. The larger wheels reduce the drift window by delaying the onset of drift closer to complete breakaway. For big drifts, 14s are best, but you will be going a bit slower. The larger wheels also weigh more, which increases unsprug weight. This negates some aspects of the 75's well engineered chassis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comment guys but, i have decided to put 17s although im having great difficulties trying to find wheels in sydney for my alfa.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i have sz rims with (on the front) 205 45 16, and they rub the sideskirts :( will have to do some chopping of the shirts i think, havent driven her on the road with them yet, so will soon find out how bad the rear ones are, as they are wiiiiide!!!:lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
i have sz rims with (on the front) 205 45 16, and they rub the sideskirts :( will have to do some chopping of the shirts i think, havent driven her on the road with them yet, so will soon find out how bad the rear ones are, as they are wiiiiide!!!:lol:
The offset obviously aint right then even my 235 40 18s dont rub there!!!! how wide on the back? as the back is where all the work is needed. my wheels where 10 inches wide on the back and it needed serious work. 8 inch rims with a good offset and rolled arches should be ok on a 16 inch rim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
16s or 17s....most 16's just have poxy styling though..i run GTA rims on mine, and they are great. easily the best looking rims alfa have ever made. if you run 205/40/17 tyres, you wont have scrapping or clearance issues. forget 18's, that is going too far, and a little idiotic really. and dont worry about it affecting your ride, just moderate that via the correct tyre pressures for the condtions,roads, and what you want from it. and run quality tyres, its almost a little difficult to make the earlier alfas too harsh, thanks to the brilliant suspension design, giving minimal unsprung weight, it pretty much gives us lisence to run watever tyres profile we want! cool eh???

·
Registered
7 Posts
17s worked well on my 75 eventually, with the suspension sorted and lowered to probably as low as possible - all i had to do was trim the inner edge of the top of the front wheel arches (slight problem on full lock). Had no problems with the rear and ran 205 40 17 tyres front and rear. If the car is at standard ride height, the wheels have the correct offset and the suspension hasnt turned to blancmange shouldnt be any serious rubbing issues.
Best i can do re. a picture is the avatar im afraid !

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think it was 30mm rear and 25 front? I cant quite remember Ill have to check the 75 at the weekend to confirm

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine has 17*7.5 Momo Sport, with 215/40 tyres. On full lock just one side rubbed slightly on the Veloce bumper at the front. This was more to do with the fit of the bumper.

I lowered the tyre pressures slightly on the 17's and it handled fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts