Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello gentlemen and seasons greetings!

as the title really, the factory head unit is looking tired and it does not really do what I need....requirements are ,Bluetooth for Phone connectivity. steering wheel control supported, and something that will look good in the GT.

the hard part, single Din if possible as I use the oddments draw and the cup holder, although I could go double din it would have to be awesome.

under £100 and easy to fit myself would be A-mazing although I am not ruling out spending more if I have to.

thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

er cheers...I had thought of that, and ebay..:thumbup:

the other option was to phone car audio city and just tell them what I require and buy it.

all the usual avenues have been explored but you would be amazed at how it becomes a sea of nonsense with it not being clear exactly whether or not steering wheel control is supported and of course how well it would work in place of our OE Blaupunkt unit.

I was looking more for specific advice/feedback from those who have fitted aftermarket units, what they were,what they support, how much they cost, whether extra wiring harness's /adaptors were required...and how well they are performing.

sorry maybe my initial post was a touch vague.

my last car had a parrot fitted and it was great, having researched buying another I discovered that most headunits now do xactly what the parrot does and more, so am updating the whole unit to kill two birds with one stone.

am getting annoyed with the little bluetooth speaker I am using at the moment as it's not really loud enough to talk easily over road noise on the Mway.:irked:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I run a Pioneer unit (single DIN) in my 156 and it interfaced (lead/adapter required) with the steering wheel controls perfectly.

The biggest issue was getting a dash surround that fitted okay.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
most good branded ones can be used with steering wheel controls , but my wife uses a sony head unit which is under £100 with usb b/tooth etc i think halfords do it for £99 so it should be a bit cheaper everywhere else.

not got the model number ill grab it tomorrow but its the only sony single dim halfrauds sell so you can have a look

i grabbed the link. sorry i must have felt lazy for a sec

Sony MEX-N4100BT Car Stereo with Bluetooth :xmas:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Joey

I just bought a double din unit for the gt which I will fit/have fitted between Christmas and new year. You could have my pioneer Bluetooth, USB, mp3 unit for £50. It's in great order and sounds terrific with the bose system.

I can send you the cage and surround, but alas my surround can't handle the oddments tray. It possibly could with some modification.

If you're interested let me know and I will send you pictures of the set up.

Andy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recommend any of the pioneer units, I currently have this Pioneer FH-X720BT Car Stereo
Although its a double din halfrauds are selling it with 20% off at £111
My reasons are very easy to set up and use, colour combinations of display and keys, unlike my previous Alpine head unit the source options are able to be switched off, phone clarity of voice very good, easy to connect to the steering wheel controls and works very well

Regards

·
Registered
600 Posts
The pioneer looks decent.

If anyone has a double din for sale then give me a shout. I only need usb/aux as have a parrot fitted for my phone. Unfortunately it is not one I can play music through

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies gents, very helpful indeed.

may take brighousealfa up on his headunit..(PM sent mate)

seasons greeting to all...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Does anyone have advice on mech less units? Do you get better quality for your money if you ditch the CD player. I'm a fan of alpine.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
halfrauds are doing a JVC unit for £65, does everything I want...£18.99 for the fascia. says steering wheel remote ready so I'm not sure if that means you need a harness...?

anyway will look into that today at the local branch in guildford...:thumbup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
If anyone needs a aftermarket radio surround i have one in black but can sprayed silver if required

·
Registered
883 Posts
halfrauds are doing a JVC unit for £65, does everything I want...£18.99 for the fascia. says steering wheel remote ready so I'm not sure if that means you need a harness...?

anyway will look into that today at the local branch in guildford...

Harness is £25 work well with my alpine but dies need to jack on the back to work

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sorry to jump on someone else's thread - but there seem to knowledgeable folk on here so... I just failed to fit a new Pioneer DEH-4800DAB in my GT (no Bose). I've looked at the thread in the ICE, Blue&Me section (and posted there but no reply as yet). The new radio doesn't get powered up (I tried switching the live supplies red/yellow). If I get a CTSAR003 with the correct patch lead that will also solve the power issue as well as giving me steering wheel controls? I ask because I already had an elderly aftermarket radio fitted (JVC) and that always worked fine with no mods to the existing harness - why should the newer one be any different?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sorry to jump on someone else's thread - but there seem to knowledgeable folk on here so... I just failed to fit a new Pioneer DEH-4800DAB in my GT (no Bose). I've looked at the thread in the ICE, Blue&Me section (and posted there but no reply as yet). The new radio doesn't get powered up (I tried switching the live supplies red/yellow). If I get a CTSAR003 with the correct patch lead that will also solve the power issue as well as giving me steering wheel controls? I ask because I already had an elderly aftermarket radio fitted (JVC) and that always worked fine with no mods to the existing harness - why should the newer one be any different?

Basic radio's run a simple loom loke a JVC.. to what i know with my alpine i had to wire the loom to constant postive and have to turn the radio of byits own power button otherwise all presets woild be lost once key has been removed

You need to wire the steering controls in to the same live wire

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
switching red/yellow, live/switched probably won't work (as you've discovered), as there is usually no switched +12 available in the ISO-A connector.... You will need to pull one from the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI gents, found this, which solves all the problems...

Alfa Romeo Bluetooth adapter for streaming and hands free calls 147 156 159 GT Brera Mito Spider CTAARBT001 | In Car Connections

£108 and look easy to fit..

think I am going to go this way as it makes the most sense in terms of cost,ease originality and keeping the car standard and streams music as well, some of the headunits I have seen are a pain due to different wiring harness required for SWC.

checked the Parrot too and it not straight forward with the Blaupunkt Bose set up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts