Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I m about to fork out for a cambelt change & water pump at the same time, i will have about £300 left to do one of the mods recommended on the forums
The car is stock at the moment, so do i either get a induction kit or get anti roll bars?
Which is the best option, the brakes are fine and i will get Brembo vented discs at some point ( unless there is a better/ cheaper manufacturer?)

please help!

G

·
0 Posts
ARB = anti roll bars, much better mod than induction. Induction mod is fun but vanity, just makes a nicer noise, marginal performance difference. ARBs significantly improve handling (at least the Eibach ones did on mine). Vented discs are a vanity mod, they make no difference to braking performance, it's the pads that make all the difference. Having said that, I have grooved discs on mine because they look :cool: (IMO) but the OEM ones are fine.

Do you have a Q2/Quaife? If no, put the money towards that. If yes, get the ARBs. My advice at least.....

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nigel, i do want a better sound and more performance, what do you suggest?
The car is stock, so no Q2 as far as i know, i believe the only way of finding out is to strip down?

Andy

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks Nigel, i do want a better sound and more performance, what do you suggest?
The car is stock, so no Q2 as far as i know, i believe the only way of finding out is to strip down?

Andy
Turn off the traction control - you'll soon know if you have a Q2 :thumbs:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Let someone drive it who has driven one with and one without. I think it's pretty easy to tell if you've experienced both.

+1 for ARB over induction. Quaife/Q2 should be highest priority for improved handling.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
I wouldn't bother with ARBs until you've fitted a Quaife diff, as well as massively improving traction they are a potential gearbox-saver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
0 Posts

Andy
Better sound = exhaust mods. The intake mod makes some improvement to induction noise, if you want a bit of drama and a really addictive exhaust noise, change the exhaust. Dan (Pud237 on here) does some fantastic exhaust work with a pal of his (well his pal does all the work) which sounds like a Unicorse system. There are various other options like CSC (cheaper), SuperSprint and Ragazzon, do a search on exhaust on this forum and you will get all kinds of threads with clips of noise.

Performance = remap. A remap will free up 10 to 20 bhp and some more torque plus give you better throttle response. It will make a noticeable difference (intake mods won't, although it will make it feel a bit faster!).

If you had a Q2 fitted the previous owner would most likely have known and told you. It's a selling point of the car, they would know if one had been fitted. As others have said, most folks (but not necessarily all) feel the Q2/Quaife is a must have mod.

It's hard to make the choice with limited funds!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all, i think there is only 1 other GTA on the Isle of Man and i dont know them :(
How would i know if it has a q2 by turning the traction control off? the bugger wheel spins in the first 3-4 gears anyway ;), seriously how do i tell....
PUD237 what sort of cost am i looking at for exhaust system parts? can it be done in stages and still improve the car?
sorry for my ignorance, i bought the car from a nissan dealers, it was a part exchange so they cannot tell me anything about the cars history i.e. parts fitted in the past.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
thanks all, i think there is only 1 other GTA on the Isle of Man and i dont know them :(
How would i know if it has a q2 by turning the traction control off? the bugger wheel spins in the first 3-4 gears anyway ;), seriously how do i tell....
PUD237 what sort of cost am i looking at for exhaust system parts? can it be done in stages and still improve the car?
sorry for my ignorance, i bought the car from a nissan dealers, it was a part exchange so they cannot tell me anything about the cars history i.e. parts fitted in the past.
Was your car imported from the UK recently or has it been on the Isle of Man its whole life?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Save the money for a diff. If you must spend the cash then brake pads and a proper underseal.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you are getting wheelspin in the first 3 gears on tarmac I would boldly suggest you don't have an LSD :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
All good advice...don't be in a rush to spend your money. Save it for the next "big" thing. Handling before performance. Q2, Shocks, springs, ARB's and top engine mount. And decent tyres. PS - check for rust on front wings, rear wheel arches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Dan

It was a uk car, not sure when as the logbook doesnt show the original reg, how can i find out if it has a Q2? or as Olly6969 says i shouldnt be able to spin it if it has a Q2? I am heavy right footed sometimes :)

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
The best way to tell whether it has a uprated diff or not is to remove the passenger side driveshaft and have a look inside. Its a good excuse to change the gearbox oil & replace the driveshaft boots and re-pack the joints out with grease. I can usually tell when a GTA has a Q2 or Quaife diff fitted but thats after driving many GTAs with and without over the years, I've driven a couple that have been all over the place due to worn out suspension, bad tyres, bad alignment etc and I wouldn't have believed they had a better diff fitted but they did. I really don't think you can tell just by driving hard around a roundabout unless you have a lot of previous experience of cars with and without lsds.

If the previous owner's details are on the logbook then I would suggest writing to them and seeing if they have any service history for the car, you never know what they may have sitting in the bottom of a drawer or something.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Dan

It was a uk car, not sure when as the logbook doesnt show the original reg, how can i find out if it has a Q2? or as Olly6969 says i shouldnt be able to spin it if it has a Q2? I am heavy right footed sometimes :)
Basically, if you give the car a bootful of throttle in a tight corner you will feel the car tighten its line if it has a q2. If not, you will just understeer as one wheel will be spnning all the power away.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I have a good manx mate, we do a lot of mountain biking together, he is a loon. He says they are all crazy over there. :thumbs::D;). I'm jealous, as you have some lovely driving roads over there!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would be amazed if it had a Q2 and you weren't told about it. They werent fitted at the factory by the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts