Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 months ago I parked my S2 Spider in the garage,disconnected and removed the battery.

Tomorrow I am planning to start and drive the car......
Yes,I know I was foolish,not preparing it for a "deep sleep". :eek:

The S2 starter motors are fragile and not the best feature of the car,my question is;What is the best way to get her started without putting too much strain on the starter?
Any thoughts on preparation?
Regards:)

G

·
0 Posts
Fully charged battery is the first thing that comes to my mind. Good battery terminals, known good cables for pos and neg, with good earth on neg and sound connection at starter end for pos.
Check oil and coolant....maybe if in doubt (and others please chime in on this idea), disconnect and loosen /remove spark plugs before cranking over, to get oil pressure up and juices flowing before trying to tighten / reinstall / reconnect plugs and cranking for real...

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is on charge for tomorrow:)
Saw a vid. on YouTube some time ago,a bloke was prepping his GTV.
He took out the plugs and squirted oil onto the walls of the cylinders.
Good idea or not?

G

·
0 Posts
Can't see why that would hurt at all - would not get too carried away, just a light dousing should do, to ensure rings get lubed with their first movement. If excessive, it could foul plugs. Good luck !
Would it hurt to engage clutch, and with handbrake off, ensure car can roll (i.e. clutch plate is not siezed onto flywheel ) before your attempt to start launches you into the garage wall !!??

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reminder,I've got to get a new brush for the plugs.I wore the old one out!:)
The step starter-motors that Classic Alfa is selling is very tempting,although pricey.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
And try to warm the oil if you can. Especially if on a cold day. A fan heater pointed at the sump for half an hour or so will bring up the temperature and lower the viscosity a bit so it turns over a bit easier and oil gets where it should.

I believe early 2000 engines had a weaker starter motor which was upgraded after a year or so into the production run.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn!!!:mad:
I think I cooked the starter today.The engine turned about 4 times then nothing,only a click can be heard.Could be the solenoid....
The starter is very warm and the neg. cable is warm?
Battery still have a good spark.
Any ideas?:(
Good idea warming the sump,thanks harryf

To hell with this,I will remove the starter tomorrow.It is wine and barbecue time:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts