Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon peeps, hope you can help.

I am going to look at a 05 plate GT 2.0 jts tomorrow with 77k on the clock and was wondering what I should be looking for regarding wear & tear?
The garage states that the car has recently (July) had £1700 thrown at it including cambelt & water pump.
It's on the forecourt for £2.5k which sounds like a snip as the car looks mint on auto trader.

This is my first venture into owning an Alfa

Thanks in advance

Gaz

·
Registered
161 Posts
1700 is a lot to throw at a car. Check to see exactly what has been done for that money...
Cambelt change and waterpump should be around 450.

Injectors may have been replaced which is good as these can be a weak point and prone to clogging so that would be a bonus as they're difficult and expensive to do.

Upper wishbones as on all gt/147/156 are prone to squeak at bushes. Around 120 per side to replace.

Thermostats, coil packs, mass air flow sensors and lambdas can also cause problems. Exhaust if original will probably need replacing sooner rather than later. Check underneath for rusting floor pans and crushed sills from improper jacking.
As always check for irregular wear on steering wheel, pedals, seat bolsters and gear knob. Shouldn't be too bad at 77K.
Check fluid levels, especially oil as running the engine too low will cause permanent damage. The Jts recommended oil is 10w60 so check in history to see if that's what's been used at service intervals.

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks.
A lot to look for then!
Really appreciate your reply mate.
I'll be sure to check all the points you mentioned.

Gaz

·
Registered
161 Posts
No probs mate hope it's a good one. Had one for a year the engine on mine was sweet. Had a few little niggles with it but it was a solid car. Let us know how you get on :yes:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
exhaust flexi pipe on those is common as well listen carefully for any blowing or rasping

at that age /mileage I would like to see the rad has been replaced as well, if not check it thoroughly for weeps which will be pink reside on the rad.

variator which an sound a bit clattery on start up, should have been replaced along with the cam belt, as should the water pump tensioners and idlers..as said above Lambda's coil packs and MAF.

upper and lower wishbones should have been done as well and again at that mileage I would like to see a clutch or budget for it before 100k.

check the oil levels are where they should be. IF NOT WALK AWAY. on either a JTS or TS engine oil starvation can kill an engine. trouble is not always obvious for a while, in addition make sure the service history is full and that the oil and fluids have been changed at the correct intervals, preferably earlier.

also Alfa changed all cam belt intervals on JTS TS engines to 36k, be aware of this, if your mileage is 30k a year its an expensive car to run!

I had a JTS before my blackline diesel, I wouldn't have another ,but they are a fun car if a bit juicy on the fuel and if you get a good one should be fairly painless to own, just make sure all of the above is done or you WILL have to do it if you own the car for any length of time or significant mileage...

oh and premium fuel and regular doses of injector cleaner...:yes: the direct injection system likes it and the car will run much better...

good luck I hope she is a good one..pics please when purchased..:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one joey, I'll be sure to check all you've mentioned.
Regarding the point about the exhaust and on checking the pics on auto trader against other GT 's, it seems something may have been done to it as it shows twin tailpipe instead of what I guess should be single?
I'm no way a mechanic, and what someone else put on a reply earlier, I'm concerned a little about the £1700 that was spent on it.
The guy selling it seems like a cat on a hot tin roof too trying to tell me to hurry and view it as it has attracted lots of interest!!!!
I may have to wait a little longer for my first Alfa, but will keep you posted on how I get on tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help mate

Gaz

·
Registered
161 Posts
The original exhausts are oval on the jts so it seems the back box had been changed. Don't let anyone rush you into your decision Gaz go have a look and a good long test drive-listen out for bumps knocks squeaks etc from suspension. Pay attention when braking also make sure the car doesn't pull to one side when you press the pedal. Look at the tyres also..if they're a decent brand it shows the previous owner had respect for the car and looked after it.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
seems over priced to me, looks lowered and that Nurburgring sticker is a worry! Cannot recognize the make of the tyres. Also be aware when someone says the cambelt has been replaced, make sure it not because the belt has snapped, (look for head gasket on the invoice, variator good, gasket bad), don't ask me how I learnt that one.....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Could also be a rust bucket underneath at that young age, although hard to check because the worse spots will be hidden from view.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
this looks a better one..

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD 16v 2dr

if its the one at Scott Baillie you are considering it looks overpriced especially as it not leather..and TBH the petrol is not the most popular model so normally would not command that kind of price.

there are plenty of lower mileage higher spec cars around at your price point...take you time and make sure you get one that has had in addition to a FSH, cam belt and water pump and front wishbones and if over 60k preferably the clutch too.

consider a diesel model, they are quicker in the real world and are capable of 185BHP with a conservative re-map...on any Alfa GT I would say its wise to have £1000 or so left in the bank to take care of any issues. the blue one above leaves you that with a bit of haggling.

bottom line is that if your budget is 3k then buy one at 2!

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts