Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am starting to look for my first Alfa so am excited with the prospect. We currently have 3 cars – wifes Punto 1.9 JTD, family car is Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 and my toy is a tuned Fiat Coupe 2L turbo. We plan to get rid of the Jag and the Punto and replace them with one every day car. I am seriously thinking about a 2008 ish, 159 Sportwagon diesel Ti.

Car looks great with a decent spec and fairly economical (not as thirsty as the Jag with 21mpg in town, but not as economical as the Punto with 49mpg in town).

So – What do I need to be looking for?

Cam belt - whats the change mileage? Whats a typical cost?
Paint work – any ‘avoid’ colours? I’d like Alfa Red or Black.
I’ve read about tyre wear so alignment will be done after purchase.
Suspension – any issues?
Clutch – any issues?
Brakes – any issues?

You get the gist, if there are common things to be aware of please let me know. And finally my budget will be around £10k so am I being realistic with a 2008 plate car?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Remo

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi and welcome to AO. Try the search function and you will find answers to most of your queries.
In general though I think the 159 is a great car, though your budget of 10K for an 08 reg TI sportwagon may be pushing it a little unless you want one thats gone to the moon and back.
Find a decent independant and servicing etc is reasonably cheap and usually painless.
Two main criticisms usually surface re the 159 TI ignoring some of the friday afternoon horror stories that plague any manufacturer.
1) The tyre wear, yes its true. get them set to zero toe out. Take your pick on the tyre debate but you can pay from £100 a corner fully fitted up to £350.
2) Fuel economy - its nowhere near what Alfa claim. Would think on a 2.4TI your looking at mid thirties, considerably better than your jag but nowhere near the punto.
That said with a few niggles on mine Im very happy. Im on my second so they cant be that bad. The looks of the car and everything else in a rare package always makes me smile even now :)
Good luck finding one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there and thanks for the post. I have seen a couple of 08 plates at around the £10k with 60k to 80k miles, but yes I should probably be looking at 07. The fuel economy is OK, if I get 30mpg+ in town I'll be happy. Most of the journey to work and home is on a 50mph road without lights or junctions so I'll be happy mid 30s.

The tyres did worry me but after a bit of research over the past week or 2, as you suggest, between correct settings and choice of tyres I'm not so worried.

I'm fairly patient so I can wait for the right one. I did see this on Autotrader, although far away from me it looks nice but slightly high miles (65k) for 58 car. I’m not sure if price is high, low or right? –

2008 ALFA ROMEO 159 1.9 JTDM 16V TI SPORTWAGEN

Thanks

Remo

·
Registered
855 Posts
Bought mine not that long ago. On the 15 min test drive everything was fine. But now i know that one of the driveshafts needs doing - boot had came off and joint is dry. And another thing to look at is steering noises.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome remdot

I have a 2008 Ti sportwagon (1.9jtdm) so hopefully can help you a little.

Mines covered ~70000 miles and has had the following work completed so far:

62000 - new gearbox, clutch & DMF - i suspect this to be a premature failure due to the car being used for towing by its previous owner?
65000 - new cooling fan ECU
68000 - new EGR valve & inlet manifold - fitted to try and cure a misfire / poor mpg issue

The handbook states 90000 miles for a cambelt but general feeling is to have it replaced early (between 60 - 70000 miles) - mine will be done when it has its 72000 mile service to be on the safe side. Cost wise budget for anything between £400 - £600 (independent prices)
depending on who / where does it

Colours - mines carbon black and has a fair few stone chips but looks lovely when cleaned up - the Alfa red seems to damage easily so much of a muchness IMO

The EGR / DPF system on these seem to produce the most issues tbh, the DPF can become clogged up which can be avoided by giving the car a regular 'italian tune up' or manually regenerated via software called FiatECUScan. I use a product called BG244 regularly as I only use supermarket diesel and is excellent for keeping the fuel system clean (it fixed my misfire / hesitation issue which the EGR/manifold replacement was supposed to) BG244

mpg wise mine is used for short journeys with the occasional longer blast and the average is 33 most seem to get more than this although I believe the 2.4 is generally around mid thirties as GCDBONES mentions - these & the 2.4 seem to respond very well to a remap coupled with an EGR & DPF disable - favoured tuners on here are AHM AHM & Alfatune Alfatune although cheaper alternatives are available e.g. Angel Tuning

Cost wise, mine cost me £13k in December 2010 but that was from Veloces which tend to be a little overpriced

Steering racks seem to be a common problem on these - search the forum and you will see what I mean

Other than that IMO still the best looking saloon / estate on the market bar none - good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Be aware that there was a 'facelift' on these cars from early 2008 - the car was made a bit lighter and a few other small things. The easiest way to check is by the rear boot badge - if you can press it and it opens the boot then its a MY2008

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would buy 2008 up, i think the 2008 and up inlet manifold does not have swirls any more. price of clutch is ok , but price of DMF plate ...:eek: If you buy it for 10000 put 1500 to take dpf and close egr and for future small problems (sensors..).
-check power steering if it is making any noises, or if it is leaking.
When I bought mine I did a injector cleaning at a bosh dealer, and it was a thing to do, more mpg.. instead of spending money on products ...

important...
try to show up, without warning them , to see how the car starts in cold weather,, that will show you if it is ok or not,

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts