Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a road trip round Scotland around midsummer - I have never properly seen Scotland and I want to experience the 20 hour days with the associated extended dusk and dawn. Planning on taking a classic so hoping it will be a memorable trip. Aiming for about 4 hours driving a day.

But there is conflict in the harryf household with my co-driver. My plan was to go up to the Northernmost point in the British Isles (after all isn't that the logical ultimate destination?) via the West coast, then visiting Skye and going through Gairloch, Scourie and Thurso before hitting Inverness.

She however has been told by others that after we visit Skye, there really isn't anything much worth seeing North of there that we won't already have seen. So she'd propose doing less driving each day, cutting directly over to Inverness and coming back South.

So, natives of the North, who's right? And any other tips?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would tend to disagree with the folk to say there is nothing to see after skye. There is Harris & Lewis, Wester Ross where we rented a caravan on a croft, and watch the Gannets diving among beautiful coastline, then head upto Cape Wrath and there are beautiful little coastal villages. Of course, on the Western side you also have Mull & the beautiful holy Island of Iona. Inverness is ok, but further up going towards John o' Groats is also interesting.
I wouldn't spend too much time in Inverness, but Aviemore will be good to take the chair lift upto the top of the Cairngorms for a coffee. So much to see in Northern Scotland. Ignore your advisor!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Orkney!

I would highly recomend the Orkney isles. If you are interested in beautiful landscapes and archeology then there is so much to see. The roads are amazing too and put us mainlanders to shame.

Reactions: stoneystu

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
The Ullapool to Lochinver road is one of the most spectacular driving roads in the world. Completely wrong that there is nothing worth seeing after Skye. Those are the unique and best parts.

https://youtu.be/ybVZOaLrsp0

Reactions: stoneystu

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
The distilleries do "driver packs" so you can
pour your tasters into little bottles to take
back to your hotel/B&B to enjoy at your leisure.

:thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts