Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i bought a stunning alfa romeo 147. I seen it listed on ebay and went to view it. The seller told me he was a trader from home and done it for a living on the side of his valeting company.

After falling in love with the car i left a deposit the next day and got a recipt then paid in full a few days later (£1600).

After a few blissful days motoring i decided to take it down to see my family for the day 70 miles away. After i got off the motorway i noticed a slight knocking coming from the front of the especially when cornering.

I thought It would be a cv joint or something similar. Then after stopping for 10 mins i was following my dad into town, when turning a right hand bend there was a huge crunch as the front near side wheel was ripped from the car which then ground to a halt on the disk.

After inspection it seems that the previous owner had fitted plastic brake calipers to make it look better but they were attached with blu tac. To make them fit behind the wheels the guy fitted 5mm spacers but only used standard length bolts so only 2 - 3 threads on each bolts were attached.

The garage have provided me with a statement saying they removed all brake covers and spacers as they were unsafe and that the damage to the wing was caused by the wheel coming off.

I contacted the seller of the car who only offered to mot the car for me if i paid for all the repairs. I read on here that as it was a trade sale i could refuse the car as it was unsafe. I told him this but his reply was sold as seen with no warranty and was a private sale. Thr invoive however was in his business name and at the bottom says
"the car is sold as a trade sale and no warranty is implied or given. Standard trade sale terms and conditions apply which are available on request"
When i said this his reply was simply. Im not a trader... Unlucly.
Can anybody help?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
That is simply appalling!

Get in touch with trading standards.

On the plus side, you're OK and not lying in a hospital bed or worse :eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me im thankful it happened there and not on the motorway.

the guy i bought the car off seemed really honest and helped when the window motor went a few days after. after speaking to him yesterday and him only offering a MOT i thought was a complete **** take.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I am sure the inland revenue would like to hear about him as well, because I bet he isn't paying any VAT or income tax on the profit he makes on cars.

Did he give you a reciept?

A car should be in merchantable condition if bought from a trader.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Yep, warranty or not, it doesn't take away his duty to sell you a car in a safe condition. If the paperwork says "trade sale" then it doesn't matter whether or not he admits to being a trader....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
As above - make it as awkward as possible for him.

Politely, in writing, tell him what you are asking for in recompense. Whilst giving him advanced notice that you will report him to trading standards, HMRC, the Police (it was a death-trap after all), the local press etc if your request isn't settled to your satisfaction.

He may just settle up to make it all go away.

Gutted to hear what happened. Glad you're OK and I hope it is sorted soon...

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
As above - make it as awkward as possible for him.

Politely, in writing, tell him what you are asking for in recompense. Whilst giving him advanced notice that you will report him to trading standards, HMRC, the Police (it was a death-trap after all), the local press etc if your request isn't settled to your satisfaction.

He may just settle up to make it all go away.

Gutted to hear what happened. Glad you're OK and I hope it is sorted soon...
I would still report on the basis that he seems to be screwing every legal body in the country and getting away with it. If he's done it to this car, there's every chance he's done it before and will carry on doing it.

Next time, the accident might be more serious.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
hahaha that old red kipper:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Gies a sec flufy a search under trikki should gie you the answer you need.
2 secs pal

Pomeo

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yeah please tell, iv had dealings with a dodgy trader/dealer around near me, that went under a few days later, after selling me an unsafe 147, and i had to fight to get the money he owed me:rant::mad: jack ***.

seems like he done a few people, and modded my part/ex stilo, before he sold it, which promptly blew up, and i had the owner getting details from me. and a porsche which fell to pieces, had him on the fone too.

and then dissapeared of the face of the planet, as the ir were after him,muppet

i hope its the same person, i really do:mad:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Any previously owned,2nd.hand vehicle needs to be most scrupulously examined, preferably on a hoist, with a decent lamp, and then taken on a road test of some duration in my book.:): Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
My friend has a business and sold a personal car to someone. Now it was sold as not trade sale and sold as seen.. He sold the car for £200 so you can imagine the state of the car.

2 weeks later the cambelt snapped... He was taken to court successfully as he did also run a business in the motor trade. Was told that he had to pay all costs and give the guy his money back.

He thought sold as seen and just being a private sale excluded him from normal trade rules,but it did not.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
damn not the same one, shame:rant::lol:

run him into the ground mate, should be pretty easy, selling a car unfit for purpose for a start:tut:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Even though he may well have sold you the car provately as a trader/business is he still liable, its whether or not you can afford to take the legal action to sort this.

The only way he can get out of this is if he sells a vehicles and puts on the receipt something along the lines of"sold for spares or repairs, vehicle may not be road worthy" or " sold as scrap" etc Selling it as sold as seen doesn't cover his back, unless again he stpulates Sold as Seen no warranty given or implied, No known faults etc etc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts