Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

I bought my first Alfa a few weeks ago (a 1999 156 1.8) and I'm looking into upgrading from the casette player that it came with. I've attached a picture of it.

What I'd prefer is to keep the current headunit as I'm sure anything different would look out of place (unless you can prove otherwise!). I've read through the manual for it, and I'm pretty certain a CD changer can be attached to it (the CD button on the headunit kind of gave it away as well!). I've been searching around the forums and I've seen the Loudlink and Bluebird systems and this is definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for, leaning more toward the price range of the Bluebird. The question is, would they work with the headunit I have, and if not are there any similar products that would work?

If I couldn't have anything like the above, then I guess I'm looking at hooking up a CD changer. If this is the case, which brands/models would work?

Cheers for any help

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
probably best to remove it from the dash, to check what connections exist around the back. this will help confirm it is a Blaupunkt too. there is probably a sticker on top which tells the model number. and of the connections around the back, a Blaupunkt would typically have the 2 main black ISO plugs (often 2 plugs joined into 1 big one) for power and speakerwiring; and there should be a series of blue/green/yellow mini-ISO plugs (could be empty but still exist). at a minimum, for any of those accessories to work, there needs to be a blue mini-ISO connection for a CD changer/auxiliary component.

ignore the labelling in this pics of mine (taken for other purposes), but you can see the black ISO plugs and three interlocked mini-ISO plugs in my GT; the 156 will be similar if it's a Blaupunkt headunit:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/291648346.jpg

if it's an Alpine-based model, there won't be square mini-ISO terminals. perhaps take a photo for us to see. once we know, we should be able to advise what products will suit. if you end up wanting a CD changer, it must be the same brand to be compatible, and sometimes specific models of changer.

to remove the headunit, the 2 holes along the top will be for 'unlocking keys'. you can normally use coathanger wire or similar; by pushing this into the holes, it pushes aside metal locking tabs. so you need to co-ordinate pushing in wire, persevering, and pulling the headunit outwards at the same time to release it.

your other options is to buy a CD headunit, like a secondhand factory one from the 156, and add your auxiliary/CD changer to that.

:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Very odd ... you've got a pre-facelift car with a set of facelift dials ...

You could always get hold of a facelift cd-stereo and it should just plug in ... blatant plug I've got one sitting in my garage if you want to make me an offer :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been too busy to look into this lately.

Right, I've just tried to remove the CD player with a coat hanger to no avail - seems like a right pain in the backside. So I'm probably going to try and find a tool for this. As soon as I get it out I'll post an image of the wiring and let you know.

Like I said, my first choice is something like the Loudlink/Bluebird systems - is this dependant on whether it is an Alpine/Blaupunkt headunit, or whether it has a blue mini-ISO connector, or aren't these compatible at all with my current headunit?

Chris - thanks for the offer. If I'm unable to sort out my first two options I might just have to take you up on it. I'm curious though as to what the CD player looks like as I haven't seen one anywhere on the net that would fit in with the style of the dashboard of my car, as the current stereo does. Does it look like the following?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Chris - thanks for the offer. If I'm unable to sort out my first two options I might just have to take you up on it. I'm curious though as to what the CD player looks like as I haven't seen one anywhere on the net that would fit in with the style of the dashboard of my car, as the current stereo does. Does it look like the following?

Thanks again for the help.
Yep looks exactly like that ... must admit looks a bit siht in a pre-facelift car

actually just looked at your picture again and it looks like you have facelift dials :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally I think the Alfa tape player looks out of place, and you're better off just replacing the head unit! You'll get better sound too :)

Good luck whatever you do though!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts