Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a Ctek XS 0.8 battery charger and I want to use it on my Alfa GTV as I haven't used it since the 1st December. I can't use it for a few more weeks due to an operation so I want to top the battery up. The question I have is about connecting it to my GTV's battery.
I presumed I could just connect the charger straight to the battery but the manual says to connect the to the positive pole and the black clamp to a place on the vehicle chassis away from the fuel pump and battery. Not sure where to do this on the car as the battery is in the boot! Also if the battery is positively earthed the connection has to be reversed (negative to battery, positive on chassis).
To then confuse matters even more, on their FAQ's it says they recommend connecting one lead to the ground because of an EU directive but a Ctek charger is spark free, has a minimal amount of gassing and can therefore be connected directly to the battery! "However, we do not recommend this for approval reasons"
So am I ok to connect to the battery?
Thanks for your help in advance!!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
So am I OK to connect to the battery?
Yes.

Like anything, there is a small chance of a spark and a small chance of the battery exploding in your face. So in the world we live in now, they can't take the chance of recommending it.

But look at it this way: How would you connect the charger if the battery was out of the car...?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The car is negative earth ( as pretty much all cars have been since the mid 1960s* ).

My ctek charger came with a short lead with eyelets in addition to the short lead with crocodile clips. If you look at the battery clamp, you'll see threaded posts on them. Using the threaded posts and suitable nuts, fix the short lead with eyelets ( if they supplied one! ) to the battery clamps and leave the connector hanging out of the upper carpet so you can get to it.

There is then no concern about sparks near the battery or fuel pump as you're connecting the charger via a small connector.

* Positive earth cars supposedly corrode faster.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just to add -

If you don't have a sealed for life battery, make sure the vent pipe is connected to the battery. That way any hydrogen gets vented to the outside of the car and well away from the battery terminals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Positive (red) connector to red terminal of battery. Negative (black) to a metallic bit of the bodywork. You will know you have a circuit when the ctek light comes on.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I use this exact same ctek model on all my Alfas. You can buy an extension 'tail' which you attach to the terminals with a couple of nylocs and this means the connection plug can be easily accessed in the boot of the GTV without the usual spare wheel and trim removal palaver.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice! I thought they were just covering themselves when they advised to connect one lead to the bodywork. I do have a lead with eyelets on it so I'll use that one!

Just to add -

If you don't have a sealed for life battery, make sure the vent pipe is connected to the battery. That way any hydrogen gets vented to the outside of the car and well away from the battery terminals.
I'm pretty sure I have a sealed battery, what would I look for to be sure?

I use this exact same ctek model on all my Alfas. You can buy an extension 'tail' which you attach to the terminals with a couple of nylocs and this means the connection plug can be easily accessed in the boot of the GTV without the usual spare wheel and trim removal palaver.
Ah that's good to know, it is a bit of a faff removing the trim! By an extension tail, do you mean what pkr was suggesting above and leave the eyelet lead attached with the connector poking out?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a sealed battery, what would I look for to be sure?
An unsealed battery will have plugs you can remove to top up with distilled water. With a sealed for life battery the holes are plugged and flush with the surface of the battery

EDIT :
The yellow things on this battery are removable plugs ( although the description strangely says its sealed )

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12V-4ah-sealed-long-life-battery_1967413440.html

A sealed for life battery won't have those finned plugs ( the yellow colour isn't relevant ).

For comparison, this is a sealed for life battery -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-amp-L...W-AUTOELITE-/291117769204?hash=item43c7f8a1f4

Ah that's good to know, it is a bit of a faff removing the trim! By an extension tail, do you mean what pkr was suggesting above and leave the eyelet lead attached with the connector poking out?
Mine's certainly long enough to allow it to permanently poke out of the carpeted trim.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that, that makes sense. I'll check in the morning. This is my first experience on a forum and I'm impressed by how knowledgeable everyone is and how quickly they respond! Gives me confidence in case something goes wrong :hehe:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts