Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the hypothetical scrounge again.:D

I've been prattling on about the joys of fishing to my kids for a while now - [un]fortunately, they now want me to take them on a trip, but i have no rods or reels, no licence....and no knowledge: I used to love it, but my gear wash washed away in a a mini land-slide when i was a teenager!

I've looked at local fisheries, but most look like they want pro's.

Please can you recommend me a cheap 2 rod set-up for me and my lad (12) and advise what licence i would need?

Ta very much :)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
bugger!

and there i was thinking crosby marina would be a nice place! :p
I remember some very strange floating white fishes there as well :confused:

Can't help with the purchase of kit or license but why not make a weekend of it and stop here, we rented a van a few years ago it was ok and not full of "serious" Fishing bods :D

Near Moss Farm Leisure Limited

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers HM, it looks nice, but i really did blow the budget on the week away, so i'm thinking of a Car Boot and a canal :D

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
Fishing gear especially rods and reels are pretty cheap these days.

I am talking about £15-20 for a reel and £25 upwards for a decent rod.

Have a look on the Enviroment agency website. Basically if you fish anywhere in freshwater you need a licence, where as for sea fishging you don't.

Then of course you usually need either a day ticket or a club licence on top for the water that you wish to fish unless it is a free water.

What sort of fish are you hoping to catch?

·
Registered
354 Posts
You'll need an Environment Agency rod licence and so will any kids over 12. They can be purchased at any Post Office or on line and you can get daily ones so no need to pay for a season until you know if they like it.

I recently took my youngest grandson, aged 6, for the first time with his older cousin. We just used a 3 metre carbon whip so no messing about with reels and casting. They can be bought for well under a tenner. Get some ready made pole rigs at the same time. Probably also disgorger or forceps. While you're in the tackle shop explain what you are hoping to do and see if they come up with any suggestions of waters to fish. Can't beat a bit of local knowledge.

The most important thing is that they catch - doesn't matter what size. We went to a local lake which the carp fishers use but is also heavily stocked with silver fish. Literally a fish a chuck. His first fish was a tench of about 7 inches and his face was a picture.

Tight lines...

JC

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
As mentioned above, for now forget rods and reels and get a couple of whips, 4m will be fine and easy to use. (i have caught fish up to 6lb on them with 2lb line, i am really good though:lol:)
Ted Carters have a good reputation and have always been helpful, not that far from you either.
Fishing Tackle | Carp Fishing | Fishing Rods | Match | Coarse | Fly
Now you could also get a copy of the weekly Angling Times, loads of day ticket waters listed by area, Carters should also be able to tell if there are any free local waters.
You need to take the youngster somewhere where he will catch otherwise boredom will set in pretty quick, learn the basics again first then start getting clever....:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
In '47 i bought an old ww2 tank aerial for 7/6d from a tackle shop, and a cheap wooden reel.

Off i went to the grand union at rickmansworth hauling gudgeon in by the bucket load.:lol:

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
Most of the Rivers and many of the stillwaters around here are infested with Signal Crayfish and Otters.

The Signal Crayfish eat most of the fish spawn, and make holes in the banks where as the Otters eat the bigger fish.

All of that adds up to fishing that isn't as good as it used to be on most waters.

I need to start getting back on the bank, as I haven't had much time in the last couple of years. I also enjoy a bit of sea fishing.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
They did originally come to the UK as they were bred as food, then some escaped into the waterways.

I think they level of infestation is so great in some waters that eating a few wouldn't make much difference.

I heard a rumour that on one river a 50M stretch was closed off and all of the Crayfish were caught. They ended up with over 1 tonne of them in total.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cheers for the advice chaps -i think i know what i'm after now :)

it's mainly pits and reservoirs near where i live so i'll be going for smallish fish like perch and roach etc (hopefully not pike and 80lb mirror carp, lol)
i'll let you know how we get on :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts