Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put my alfa 147 selespeed in for cam belt change and my mech has come back to me to say alfa dealer parts dept have said he needs to fit a new advanced variator at the same time, this will cost an additional £250 quid with parts and labour. He has fitted many new cams on alfas and never had to do this before. Apparently it is something new???

Anyone got any info on this ASAP please!

TA

Julesbules

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You need to post in the 147 technical lounge. 'Variators' come up a lot, not so often 'Advanced Variators' and I'm sure hundreds of people here will be very eager to hear about those!

·
Registered
175 Posts
That sounds way over the odds.
I had the cambelt done recently on a 147 and since my variator was making the well-known diesel noise at startup, I asked for it to be replaced at the same time.

Since there is very little additional work to replace it while the belt/tensioner/etc are being replaced, I was only charged for the part itself and this was £85.

If they want to charge you an additional £250 for the variator, I thing they're taking the mick. This would probably be the price of getting it done alone without the belts but if you get it done at the same time, they will be charging you twice for the labour time to get at the belts/variator.

The "Advanced Variator" as you call it is one and the same thing as the Variator you will se in other threads. It is sometimes called the advance variator, since it advances (or stops retarding) the timing at higher rpm

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
welcome to AO as johnnygal says variators are approx £85 so what is this 'advanced variator' thingy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply I spoke to the service dept of the nearest alfa dealer and they gave me some advise.
As I'm having no trouble with it I've decided to leave sleeping dogs lie, though listening now to what you are all saying about it being a quick job whilst they are doing the belt, I'm a little concerned when it does need changing I'll have a bigger bill.. Hey HO!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Get it done at the same time, but not for £250! It would be typical for it to start getting noisy within a couple of 1000 miles of a new cambelt, like the guys say, the part is less than £100, the labour negligible as all the cost is stripping it down to the cambelt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts