Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As AO's resident insurance guru, would Adrian Flux charge a premium for fitting winter tyres, would people even need to inform you.....:)

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
As they are supposed to be helluva lot safer :thumbs:..has to be cashback:lol:
but outweighed by charge for amending policy..better not letting on as you wont have an accident anyway;)

Pomeo

·
Registered
37,997 Posts
I think Chinese tyres should carry an increased insurance premium.

Just think, braking and suspension mods which make a car safer increase the premium yet Chinese tyres make the car more dangerous. :p

P

·
0 Posts
Really? Are we supposed to declare what tyres we have on normally? I've never come across that question!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
there is a big hoohaa about some insurance companies saying that fitting winter tyres constitutes a change to the manufacturers spec of the car, so they have been bumping up premiums if you fit winter tyres, even though it technically makes you a safer prospect on the road :rolleyes: the companies that do this should be shot in my opinion :flame: looks like AF are doing the right thing though, nice one guys :thumbs:

it is like roll cages. i asked my insurance company about declaring a roll cage in my old mini, and it nearly doubled my premium :eek: i asked them why, as it is a safety feature, not a performance modification, but they wouldn't provide a decent answer :loopy:

P

·
0 Posts
The roll cage thing I can answer (being an ex-off roader). Basically the roll cage gives you more confidence to go faster, be more daring and so more likely to have an accident.

The tyres though - surely the only specification would be size and rating :confused:

·
Administrator
87,322 Posts
The tyres though - surely the only specification would be size and rating :confused:
That was my thinking on the situation :confused:

After that surely it's up to you whether you choose to fit summer, winter, all season or rain tyres etc. It's not like the manufacture spec summer tyres.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Winter tyres are designed for use at temps below 7deg C. Above that temperature their performance against summer tyres is worse as are wear rates because of the special soft compounds used. Maybe some insurance companies envisage the tyres being left on in warm spells like we often get (19deg on Nov 4 for instance) and have got visions of the tyres then being unfit for purpose.
All this talk about winter tyres in the media is just another knee jerk reaction to a few weeks of winter and unnecessary for most of us.If I lived in the North where the current conditions are common every year I would seriously consider it though.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Big article in last week's Autoexpress about insurance companies charging. Good to hear that you don't:)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I think Chinese tyres should carry an increased insurance premium.

Just think, braking and suspension mods which make a car safer increase the premium yet Chinese tyres make the car more dangerous. :p
if thats the case, so should P6000's

i've gone from pirellis to sunews, and by comparison its like being on slicks in the dry, and racing wets in the wet. so much more grip wet or dry, and so much less noise its unbelievable.

not all chinese tyres are crap.

K

·
0 Posts
the big probelm with winter tyres is they have a low speed rating, typically "H" rated but in some cases just "T" rated. if your car was originally suposed to have "W" or higher arted tyres then you are in effect putting a lesser spec tyre on than the manufacturer reccomends, hence the issue with some insurance companies.

good to see that AF are taking a sensible stance on it :thumbs:

one thing thsi leads to though with the mad rush for all to buy winter tyres, what happens when the temps go back to normal in a few weeks and folks don't want to bin their freshly bought winter tyres? if they are still on the car come march/april and they have a crash........................:rolleyes: will the insurance companies use it as an excuse to not payout, unsuitable tyres and all that.

i agree with one double six, all media hype. i've only ever used winter tyres once and that was because i bought a set of 2nd hand alloys that had a set on :lol:, saved them until the winter to see how good they were. have to say they were very good, in the snow & ice. once it got more like wet roads and dry roads :eek: terrible :tut:

best off just sticking to all year round tyres and driving with a bit of common ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well done to adrian flux

Using winter tyres all year is very common in scandinavia and germany.

Had a hertz rental from hamburg in September and was on winter tyres, lowest temp on the trip was 12 deg.

Had no problems at all even when at sustained high speeds on autobahns.

I'm on winters at moment on 3 series daily driver and next year will get some sorted for the mrs fiesta. No charge with tesco policy

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
the big probelm with winter tyres is they have a low speed rating, typically "H" rated but in some cases just "T" rated. if your car was originally suposed to have "W" or higher arted tyres then you are in effect putting a lesser spec tyre on than the manufacturer reccomends, hence the issue with some insurance companies.

good to see that AF are taking a sensible stance on it :thumbs:

one thing thsi leads to though with the mad rush for all to buy winter tyres, what happens when the temps go back to normal in a few weeks and folks don't want to bin their freshly bought winter tyres? if they are still on the car come march/april and they have a crash........................:rolleyes: will the insurance companies use it as an excuse to not payout, unsuitable tyres and all that.

i agree with one double six, all media hype. i've only ever used winter tyres once and that was because i bought a set of 2nd hand alloys that had a set on :lol:, saved them until the winter to see how good they were. have to say they were very good, in the snow & ice. once it got more like wet roads and dry roads :eek: terrible :tut:

best off just sticking to all year round tyres and driving with a bit of common ;)

ahh, a bit of reason at last. I passed an audi Q5 last week spinning all four tyres furiously, as I sailed passed in the 166 with no issues at all. The thing that scares me is when this lunk head gets winter tyres, and thinks he's invincible, and tries to drive as if its fine weather.

I honestly think winter tyres aren't going to contribute to safety, but actually make our roads more dangerous. Before we give the public the ability to drive faster on ice, we need to teach them to drive safely on standard tyres first. given the stupidity of most drivers, the last thing we need is them driving faster in the snow.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I drove past adrian flux the other day on my way to norwich, looks a nice old building, very flamable ;)

I'm sure they'll keep on providing good premiums.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts