Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic strip across the bottom of the side of the car has partly come off after |I hit something in the road. What is the best way of sticking it back bearing in mind the low temperatures at the moment. I have used Master Seal which has worked well but the lowest Application temperature is +5°C.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Tiger Seal or Sikaflex, but be careful as they are messy.
Stand them in a bucket of hot water and use a hair drier to warm the car up if it's particularly cold when you are doing it.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
How about double-sided tape, the sort used for numberplates, etc? That's probably what was used in the factory & it's what bodyshops use - a lot less messy than adhesives

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Do you mean the side-skirt on the sill? If so they are clipped on to pins too so just pushing it back may not work

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the side skirt but unfortunately when I hit what ever it was on the A1 (it must have been substantial because it broke my wheel) it destroyed the clips and left it hanging off underneath the front nearside door, so it's not possible to clip back.
When I bought the car the side skirt on the off side wasn't fixed on tight and I used some Master Seal to fix it back but it needed pressing back for 48 hours to make sure it was fixed tight (I made a special tool to do this).

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I tried the double sided foam tape once and had a body shop do it once in another car. Both times it ended up peeling at a later date.

The last time I tried, I used a hot air gun to reshape the top of the trim as they seen to lose shape over time. Then I loosely attached the bottom with help of an assistant and used bars wedged against old tyres to hold it in place whilst it dried. I did it in sections (took hours) and removed excess sealer before it was still partly hardened. I decided not to use something as strong as the aforementioned products as I figure if it ever needs removing, it would lift the paint. I used a pressurised can of Wynns black Gasket Maker (RTV sealant) Over a year later, it is still good.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Small self tapping screw in mine after several failed applications of various glues and tapes. Didn't look too bad but is obviously a bodge.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts