Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
probably they have the same PCB, but transmission is via LIN, so there must be some logic element which translates buttons to LIN commands. question if it is reprogrammed chip, or maybe adding missing components to the PCB you will get operation also of left top button way you want. anyway, worth it, cost of buttons is around EUR60 for Giulia, EUR 70 for Stelvio and you get proper button with icon etc.

Note, that I tried similar trick with Keyfob to activate remote start - got RS programmed into proxi, got my fob opened and added microswitch - it did not worked. getting US keyfob for the car worked.
I was hoping to see it working in this state before ordering the button. Not sure I'm confident enough to take the steering wheel apart to put in the new unit.

·
Registered
893 Posts
no risk no fun. there is bit of glue below the plastic panel on the steering wheel, and first time it took me bit of sweat - all sits tight. some force is required, I did a few steering wheels, nobody showned me how to do this or explained anything, and I ended up with no damages. I use plastic levers, put SW on table on soft foam, use some protection if I need to lever the way that I touch leather. some SW have more glue, other a little not applied precisely, so some goes easier, other not, but I haven't made single damage as far. Q steering wheels are much easier - plastic element does not have 3rd arm.
alternative may be to buy used SW with proper buttons, in Poland you can buy used sometimes iwth proper buttons for order of EUR80-90. just not a lot of them have also heating (look for 3rd black plug with red and black cables if you need this). sellers do not have a clue what they sell usually - these are just sellers who bought it from crashed car before car scrapping. or buy in advance plastic panel only from dealer if yo uare scared you break it? shoudl not cost probably like EUR40 I guess.

for airbag disconnection disconnect battery negative terminal.
you undo 5 screws on back of SW; non Q SW access to 2 (especially 1) screw behind start button is poor, but with proper screwdriver no problem. some people do the operation without taking SW away from steering wheel column, possible, but I prefer to take it out - for me job is easier, and taking it away for me is 2 minutes of extra job compensated by easy access to screws. I use thread lock when putting back SW onto the column, and I also put glue before putting back plastic panel so no squeeks will later occur etc.

attaching some photos

61 - 62 of 62 Posts