Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've fitted a new thermostat to my car as I suspected that the old one had failed open. Before I changed the stat, car would drop to 70 degrees when driving and only get to 90 in traffic.
After I changed the stat, car gets up to temp nice and quickly, the ecu and temp gauge in car seem to align when car is idling.
Here's the strange thing I think when I'm out driving:
The engine temp gauge will sit at 73 degrees and top hose gets hot (as thermostat opens at 83) and most ph1 gauges show about 10 degrees less than the coolant is according to other threads so happy with that.
Problem is that after about another 20 minutes driving the gauge will then sit at 83 degrees. Then after another 10 -15 minutes it will sit just under 90 degrees or level on 90 degrees.
Now the fan comes on at 90 degrees when she idles so I'm thinking that's a little too hot for when car is in motion?
My next thing on the to do list would be to change the radiator as perhaps the failed thermostat masked an old failing rad?
Before I do though, any phase 1 owners of a spider or gtv able to put my mind at rest as to their running temperature when driving please?
I could be worrying over nothing!!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My p1 spider sits just above the 2nd mark whilst moving. If motionless in traffic it goes to just over 90 when the fans come on. When moving again it quickly drops to the 2nd mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's helpful thanks, mine starts just past the 2nd mark once thermostat opens but then even while driving it will gradually get hotter up to around 90 degrees.
I've discovered silver gunge in the lining of the expansion tank, think I'll flush the coolant and change the radiator and see if temperature comes down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts