Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Some friendly chap (!!) drove into the back of me last friday (typical after spending £600 on it on the previous monday) as i was sitting in stationary traffic. Now he didnt hit me at a great speed, and at first didn't do a lot of damage (knocked the number plate light out the bumper and a couple of scratches). The boot shuts under its own weight, but will not engage the clasp or indeed lock. Further inspection revealed that the plastic (and metal) on the lip of the boot has risen up, resulting in me being able to pass my hands under the boot lid!! grr!

When you look at the back of the car it looks as though theres no damage, but im worried that where he has hit me has pushed the chassis up and left and caused structual damage.
Ive had a similar accident before (different make and model mind) and the inspector that they write off any structual damge straight away... eeek...:cry:

Ive got a 52 plate 147 on 97k...what do you guys think, should i prepare for the worst?!!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fingers crossed for you but if you have had a similar experience before resulting in a write off might not be good news unfortunaltely :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Danant...

Just blummin typical after getting a service, new tyres etc done isn't it! and on my day off...grr...

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Sound's like the rear panel / boot floor has absorbed the impact.
Get it to a bodyshop for an estimate, should be o.k as long as the rear chassis leg's haven't taken a big hit and the roof hasn't kinked.
Just noticed mileage etc, prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do insurance estimates day in day out with todays credit crunch world insurers are not wrighting much off these days without seeing it , it dosnt sound like thay would . At least its there fault not yours if someone hits you in the rear insurer rules means its there fault . and non faults claims tend to get more percentage of value allowed for them . its normally 66% of the cars value if the repairs if less its an automatic yes over its down to insurers descretion . But if thay do write it off you legally have the chance to buy it back at a fraction of the cost and still get a full pay out example

Customer of mine got hit in the rear end on a 52 corsa thay got paid out £2200 and purchesed the car back for £450 and repaired it for £300

The does de value but if you buying it back chances are youll keep the car for a very long time !

Where are you based ? we have a large good bodyshop that can help with your insurance claim and make sure it dosnt write off your car a give you brand new courtasy car we are in cambridgeshire

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies and info!

The third party was driving a Lexus RX300 and all the damage that was visible to his car was a cracked number plate and a couple of small scratches. I reckon they hit us at around 10/15 mph - which doesn't sound alot i know but it did hurt quite a bit as its totoally unexpected...Personally i think he was on his phone which i cannot stand...
Still waiting for the car to be picked up as we speak - Funny how the insurance company were so desperate and almost forceful to pick my car up straight away as its 'unsecure' then leave it 4 days sitting outside...Grrrrr!!!!

Thanks for the offer meaner25 - but i'm already in the process loop now and just want it sorted ASAP - Saying that when my old Fiesta Si was written off (not my fault) i had a hire car for 6 months!!!

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It's a regular thing these days, to be involved in a minor shunt and think that no, or very slight damage has been caused. It's down to the plastic bumpers on today's cars springing back to their original shape, immediately after an impact. Unfortunately, most of the time, damage has been done to the car's body due to the intrusion of the object collided with.
I'm not sure a company like Helphire could take this on, now that your insurance comp have started the process. That's possibly why they were in such a hurry to begin with!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My wife went through Helphire when someone hit her car when it was parked. Got a decent courtesy car that we had for a while. We also got to keep it for a week after she had received her cheque to let her get about until she sorted another car out. Think they try and give you equivalent sized car to what you had.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
My wifes 147 got hit at 15mph by a transit, it needed a new bumper, minor filling and beating to the tailgate, but the rear slam and part of the boot floor straightened slightly - that and loads of little brackets!

2005 car - no talk of writing it off.

However the Mercedes CLC courteousy car we had during the repair WAS written off when a Corsa hit it from behind doing about 40....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Get your £600 back with a Whiplash claim

Get top dollar for the 147 with some Auto Trader Ad's showing the potential value, and start your Alfa journey over again!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers again for all the replies...
The car is now at 'Cougar' in Luton and was told yesterday that roughly £1200 of damage had been caused. I don't know if that includes labour costs too as of yet and i've just got to wait for the assessor now bit the garage seems optimistic it wont be a write off.
Like Mike said - the 'crumple zone' in the bumper took most of the impact so i'll need a new bumper and the wing pulled out, all repainted etc etc...
As for the hire car i've got - Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 on a 57 plate...Not too bad tbh, got loads of kit on it but it doesnt give you a smile on your face whilst you drive it....
Will update when i know more!
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Get your £600 back with a Whiplash claim!
:tut: Disgusting.

So typical of the ever increasing claim culture of the UK. This is a real problem which is effecting insurance premiums for honest motorists.

Andy didn't say he was injured in any way so why should he try a fraudulent whiplash claim? :rolleyes:

Hope the car gets sorted and back to you soon Andy! :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
:tut: Disgusting.

So typical of the ever increasing claim culture of the UK. This is a real problem which is effecting insurance premiums for honest motorists.

Andy didn't say he was injured in any way so why should he try a fraudulent whiplash claim? :rolleyes:

Hope the car gets sorted and back to you soon Andy! :)
Well said Gil :)

Andy, I had a similar experience and the boot didn't catch lock either. turned out that the tow-hook had been hit and pushed forward, resulting in the boot floor being pushed back and warped a bit.
A friendly local garage pulled the back of it out for only 100 quid. Now it's perfect except for a crack in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The car is now at 'Cougar' in Luton and was told yesterday that roughly £1200 of damage had been caused
I don't think that will include labour, or paints and materials, just for repairing and replacing parts. How much is your car worth because most of these insurance caompanies and accident management companies have a repair limit of about 66% of the vehicle's value; after that they deem it to be a write-off

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
to be fair to fierce even the police advised me to make a whiplash claim when i was t boned by an idiot they said you will lose money on your car and the in convenience of finding another it is the only way to break even
food for thought
if none of us made a claim the insurance companys would make a lot more money but how much do you think they would reduce our premiums by
just an oportunity to make more profit

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys...

Should finally get the Alfa back today!!
The Mazda was good but after driving some 500 miles in it going to and from Suffolk a couple times a week you really do realize how much fun an Alfa gives you and how boring alot of new(er) cars are. I've found you get more respect on the road and its a much more rewarding drive. Yes, it may not be as comfortable or indeed economical or practical, but who cares when you've got a good looking car!!!
Cheers guys, thanks for all you comments...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts