Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Need to replace my rear shocks tomorrow on the 147 GTA. Have done this a few times on a 156, so know most of the issues I'll have down at the hub end, but....

My 156's have almost fallen apart within the boot and it was a POP to get to the strut top nut. The 147 GTA is not so easy by the looks, and the near side has the Bose system sat right in the way. I've found a forum post about removing the plastic panel that contains the parcel shelf clips, and it shows 3 bolts that just don't seem to exist on my car. Before I start snapping plastic panels and breaking things, anyone done this before and can shed some light?

Many thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Iv'e just had adjustable coilovers installed and i wanted it to be set up so i could easily access the rear rebound adjuster.

I simply cut a neat little access flap on the top of the housing..direct access with no inner lining removal :cool:

hardly noticable :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much easier than I first thought. I cut the "plastic carpety" cover to enlarge the access hole by about 4 inches and then just pull out the 10" roundy squary foam padding. Sorry for all the technical words.

Nearside is only slightly more involved. Remove the "plastic carpety" Bose cover by pulling out all the plastic bungs. Undo 2 top Philips screws. Undo 2 x lower 5mm allen bolts. Remove 2 wire looms first. Then the whole Bose unit just comes out.

2 problems for me so far though.... the nearside top nut just wont come off. Decent 22mm goose neck ring spanner and decent 6mm allen socket.... it just wont budge and allen socket has started to round. Last time this happened to me on a car (my 156, when the shock was being scrapped and I didn't mind damaging it), I was able to attach mole grips to the shock piston within a spring coil, make sure it was b'stard tight, then just use a 22mm socket at the top, with the mole grips hitting the wheel arch to stop the piston spinning. Can't get the mole grips tight enough on this one though. No access for a nut splitter either. Any ideas before I get the windy cutter out?

The second issue (which might also turn into a 3rd). Offside top nut and rubber cap is removed, but the shock just isn't budging. Is it just a case of levering / pulling like mad until it comes out and skins my hands.... or is it different from the 156.

Talking of different, the rear strut tops look different from the 156 (not that I can see them properly yet), am I going to have to swap them over before I put my old 156 shocks in... or am I imagining things?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, problems solved, Koni FSDs from my old 156 now installed.

The problematic top nut had to be cut off, destroying the old shock, which I didn't need anyway. An air cutoff tool with a 3" disc just about has access to cut down the centre of the piston and through the nut.

The second issue... was completely seized rubber mounts. They finally came out with a lot of effort, but destroyed the top rubber mount, leaving a large section still attached to the car. This was then levered out with a 14" wrecking bar (the Clarke 14" wrecking bar is the PERFECT tool for this).

Not surprisingly, 1 nut from each of the rear drop links was seized, so new ones bought from Autolusso Bournemouth along with a replacement bolt or 3 (thanks for your help Josh).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,119 Posts
No worries. happy to help :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,119 Posts
Meh :lol:
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top