Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a deposit on my car last Saturday the lad who came said he would collect this coming Saturday.
He has phoned me asking to pay with his father's company building society cheque, I have refused point blank, he then phoned later saying he did not understand why I would not accept the cheque as it was in the company name, I told him that was even worse!
He does not want to travel with that amount of cash & says bank transfer will cost him ? I told him send a cheque when it clears he can collect the car, he then said it will be put in his dad's company name & he would collect the car with his Dad.He then asked me a strange thing, he has asked me if I still have the insurance running on the car ? Why would he ask me this ?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
big chunk of cash,cleared personal cheque, or electronic transfer for me,

company cheques no chance, even bank and building society counter cheques are not foolproof as fraudsters can get them made out for a smaller amount and allter them.

cant think why he asked you about the insurance:confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance question - maybe he wants to cover it on his own car's insurance third party so it can be driven away. If anyone asks, he's borrowing it ;)

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
it was cash or go back home to Halifax empty handed when i sold my Clio. Readies or nothing. Trust no-one.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twenty years ago I had a friend defrauded out of his Astra GTE by a bloke with a false building society cheque. Whats worse his insurance company rejected a theft claim as he had released the car, so he lost the lot. It was even worse as when he banked it his bank told him the cheque was OK, but then backtracked when it turned out to be fraudulent.

If he doesn't like carrying cash then its got to be electronic transfer. If he has a problem with that then walk away.

All the people who got their cash out of Lehman brothers had it wired to them in minutes. Its was only the good old British who queud up outside Northern Rock for their dosh for hours and hours.

Electronic transfer is the modern way.

AlfaLincs

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheques in any form are a complete no no, as others have said, cash, electronic transfer or no car......

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
A few weeks ago I was in a branch of a bank we own, and overheard (I have massive ears) the staff behind the glass screen taking a call from a car dealer wanting to know if a woman buying a car from them and was paying by bankers draft had raised one, or collected it yet.

I think the bank staff said 'can't tell you that. Data Protection Act and confidentiality'.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbs: That's how I brought my Sierra home, it saved me a lot of hassle.
I wont do that for a number of reason's, first of all its no longer my car so I would be aiding & abetting a person to drive without valid Insurance. Also if there was an accident it would either have to affect my insurance NCB so why would i do that? I cannot understand why a person who has had over a week to draw the cashout plus 1 week to insure the car & has not done so ?
I am not willing to become invovled in any illegal actions at all for anyone ,apart from the fact that I dont go along with uninsured cars onthe road,its illegal for a very good reason .

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Plus with car insurance call centres being open till 8-9pm it's pretty easy to get insurance over the phone if you've a quote from an existing insurer. My brother has done it. I test drove the car before he bought as I was fully comp.

The seller was disbelieving that he could get insurance like that. I think he used their phone as we couldn't get a mobile signal.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Got to be cleared funds or cash in your hand.

Tell him it's not insured!

·
Registered
297 Posts
What he /they said ^^^^^

Any one running a busines would know that these days buying using company cheque is big NO NO...all sounds very fishy:tut:

If they really want the car....cash or cleared cheque or get lost!!!

They may be trying to work a fast one knowing times are hard....beware:rolleyes:

Good luck anyways;)

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
He doesn't write the cheque the building society do and the building society won't issue him a cheque if he doesn't have the funds. They are perfectly safe I wouldn't worry.

Thats how it works at my building society (Britannia) anyway.

It's not hard to sort insurance out though so his bad, when I picked up the replacement GT I had spoken to direct line who said 'phone us on the day it'll be fine we'll change it over then', problem was they're closed on a sunday (never told me this) so I was stuck at mango's an hour away from home with no insurance!! Internet on your phone is your friend though :D

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
He doesn't write the cheque the building society do and the building society won't issue him a cheque if he doesn't have the funds. They are perfectly safe I wouldn't worry.

In theory yes, but nothing is foolproof. I the buyer has nothing to hid it has to be cash or cleared funds.
Its always a worry when buying or selling, when I brought my 166 handed of £1K (not a lot I know but not a little either) there has to be some trust but not total.
Have you asked the guy why he is nervous about carrying cash ?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I wont do that for a number of reason's, first of all its no longer my car so I would be aiding & abetting a person to drive without valid Insurance. Also if there was an accident it would either have to affect my insurance NCB so why would i do that? I cannot understand why a person who has had over a week to draw the cashout plus 1 week to insure the car & has not done so ?
I am not willing to become invovled in any illegal actions at all for anyone ,apart from the fact that I dont go along with uninsured cars onthe road,its illegal for a very good reason .
If he has had a few days to change it over it's a bit dodgy but I bought my car on a Sunday and it saved me a 150 mile round trip to collect it another day :thumbs:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Told him my thoughts & he came yesterday with the cash. He was really happy with car ,I gave him a new oil filter 6 litre's of oil I had bought for the next change it had 33litres of V.power still in it & a w/shop manual as well. So its gone & I have to a new lawn mower & a small car for the wife ..........:)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A few weeks ago I was in a branch of a bank we own, and overheard (I have massive ears) the staff behind the glass screen taking a call from a car dealer wanting to know if a woman buying a car from them and was paying by bankers draft had raised one, or collected it yet.

I think the bank staff said 'can't tell you that. Data Protection Act and confidentiality'.

You own a bank monza? :confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bought a car recently and had it HPI checked. When it came through it had an offer on it from Norwich Union for 7 days insurance, if you get a quote from them.
If it isn't competetive, you don't need to take it up. Not sure if they are still doing that, but potentially useful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts