Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to conclude that I will be keeping my 159 for longer than I had intended, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's still an awesome car and has no faults or flaws. But this means that i will need to do certain changes to maintain interest for the next year or two, and this brought me to the touchy subject of mods. There are always wars on the interwebs of what is acceptable and what is not, how far do you take your mods and what are upgrades and what are downgrades.

Before just deciding to make changes, there are certain questions which are often asked and need to be answered, and may need illustration in order to clarify. Alfisti are usually in two minds about changing the "purity" of the breed, especially on special edition models:

Questions often asked:
Why would you change wheels on a car, especially a special edition version where the OEM wheel adds to the identity of the car? (GTA; TI, etc)
Reversible vs. non reversible mods: How far do you go?
Upgrades that are also downgrades...

What are the thoughts surrounding this?

I'm even thinking that if I am hapy with the car after making certain mods, I might keep it as a project.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
putting in a open cone filter is known to lose kilowatts on these cars.

as for the basics, i would say full catless exhsust system, the manifold cats choke these engines big time, k&n drop in filter and a remap will get you going, the 3.2 standard map is very conservative

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sling

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Go with your heart's desire

I would say full catless exhsust system, the manifold cats choke these engines big time, k&n drop in filter and a remap will get you going, the 3.2 standard map is very conservative
This is the best starting point :thumbs: Oil catch can to limit the dreaded carbon build up.

Some decent 159 / brera build threads for reference:
Some body / brake / suspension stuff between all the diesel turbo talk...
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-andamp-upgrades/848226-brera-2-4-from-serbia.html

Lightening via carbon replacement parts - maybe OTT, but interesting:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...-project-alleggerita-159-brera-lighening.html

Halo / projector surround lights (read the 1st few entries and then read from the back to front (skipping a lot)):
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...159-brera-andamp-spider-halo-drl-project.html
or the digest:
https://jabawoki.com/project-halo/

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
oh ja how can i forget the catch can, although at this point ian already has carbon build up but if the carbon is removed i would immediately reccomend a saikou michi, rx performance or mishimoto baffled catch can

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
But the sound of a cone filter on a GTV! I never thought I'd swap out the K & N drop in for a cone filter on the GTV, but watching a clip of one with a BMC CDA forced me to try it.

I know it's not the same but I wanted a bit of a growly intake undertone, and the cone delivered. I feel a bit ashamed because hot air but the undertone change is perfect.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ja how can i forget the catch can, although at this point ian already has carbon build up but if the carbon is removed i would immediately reccomend a saikou michi, rx performance or mishimoto baffled catch can

blem with a catch can: Oily smelling vapours. Makes your car smell like a Beetle engine.

Do you get oil/vapour separators? I know my 159i has one fitted, with vapour returning to the tappet cover and oil returning to the sump. Are there any aftermarket systems like this? Preferably cyclonic type.

I have an idea of what I plan to do, i was just guaging people's thoughts. Man, do I know of a HOT 159 living somewhere around my hood! :wow:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
ian it seems you misunderstand me, the catchcans i talk about is closed loop cans, it vents from the crank into the can and out the can to the intake again, they dont return to the sump though aa apparently you dont want it to return to the sump as it contains nasties.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I've come to conclude that I will be keeping my 159 for longer than I had intended, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's still an awesome car and has no faults or flaws. But this means that i will need to do certain changes to maintain interest for the next year or two, and this brought me to the touchy subject of mods. There are always wars on the interwebs of what is acceptable and what is not, how far do you take your mods and what are upgrades and what are downgrades.

Before just deciding to make changes, there are certain questions which are often asked and need to be answered, and may need illustration in order to clarify. Alfisti are usually in two minds about changing the "purity" of the breed, especially on special edition models:

Questions often asked:
Why would you change wheels on a car, especially a special edition version where the OEM wheel adds to the identity of the car? (GTA; TI, etc)
Reversible vs. non reversible mods: How far do you go?
Upgrades that are also downgrades...

What are the thoughts surrounding this?

I'm even thinking that if I am hapy with the car after making certain mods, I might keep it as a project.
If this is a general question, very few things are irreversible nowadays.

I think Ti's are perfect aesthetically (maybe the 19" Ti rim type would look good as a spare set?) and you've already tinkered with the mapping. I suppose an exhaust mod would be the next thing to do but it can sound a bit chavvy for a gentleman cruiser. I'm also a big fan of a front splitter to tie in with the Ti skirt line.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would not want to return the oil vapours to the intake, that is where the deposits on the intake valve come from. I know a turbo engine breath a little more than a NA Ian, but smelly beetle engine??

My GTV's breather were removed from the intake years ago and there is no sign of vapour condensing on the engine. (I did this on all my cars from the Nords, to save the intake filter) Remember to plug the hole in the intake where you take breather out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts