Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a review on these tyres on 'Fake Britain' NOW

The guy credited with designing the Conti Sport 3's was saying that despite the 'copied' appearance, the performance is far inferior

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Braking distance with the Acceleras from 70mph in the wet was 14m more:wow:

At the point where the conti 3's had stopped the test car, the accelera clad car was still doing 31mph:wow:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
You get what you pay for!!

G

·
I just watched that! Like people say you get what you pay for! I had a Focus ST170 with contisports and must admit never trusted it with any other kind of tyre.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's certainly changed my opinion... My first thoughts were that i would never have 'budget' tyres, never have before. However after seeing reviews on here i warmed to the idea mainly due to the vast difference in price.
After seeing this i will NOT buy acceleras, most likely go for a quality 245/40 or maybe even 255/35 for about £150 (I realise the speedo will be out but would rather that than sub standard tyres......) and obviously the correct speed rating.

This programme was exactly what i wanted to see, an independant evaluation of whether or not they did perform as the original Conti's, which they clearly don't:eek:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I reckon in extreme conditions it'd swap ends:eek:

G

·
There is part of me that wants to say "I told you so"

Not worth making economies that might cost you your life - or someone elses

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Wish I'd seen it now. Still having reservations about trying them as I've never bought budget tyres before.

That said, EVO did a full tyre test recently and while some oddball budget brand was a death trap you'd be surprised to read that big brands like Bridgestone Potenzas didn't stop anything like as quickly as Conti's which were cellent performers but not the best in each test, of which there were several -both objective and subjective on Conti's own test ground.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
"Independent" review?? Really?? The man from conti was obviously biased towards his product.

I bought the Accelleras on reading reviews of both car mags and private buyers. Will have a mooch later and post the findings from these. In many circumstances the Accelleras were as good as main brands.
Did the program actually state that they were these tyres? I saw the main bulk, but not all the way from the start. I recognised the pattern, but the tyres had a strange logo on the tread/wall that I haven't seen on mine.

They did state that these "budget" tyres (even though when buying Accelleras they always come up at "mid range" ) that they wer £30-£40 cheaper than the Contis. Really??? In the case of the 18" wheels it is more like a gap of £80-£100.

And the way they were banging on about them being "fake" made me annoyed. Has anyone ever tried to pass them off as Contis? Not to my knowledge. If someone is thick enough to not actually be able to read the wording on the tyre then they deserve to be ripped off!

It all smacked a little of Continental getting shirty with a cheaper importer with a SIMILIAR tread pattern.

Scare mongering in my eyes. Yes, you get what you pay for, we all know that. In the real world of my driving, the new tyres have a much better wet and dry braking/handling experience than the 3mm Bridgestones that came off the wheels.

The tyres pass the required BS. Thats all I need to know. Fake Britain indeed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Independent" review?? Really?? The man from conti was obviously biased towards his product.

I bought the Accelleras on reading reviews of both car mags and private buyers. Will have a mooch later and post the findings from these. In many circumstances the Accelleras were as good as main brands.
Did the program actually state that they were these tyres? I saw the main bulk, but not all the way from the start. I recognised the pattern, but the tyres had a strange logo on the tread/wall that I haven't seen on mine.

They did state that these "budget" tyres (even though when buying Accelleras they always come up at "mid range" ) that they wer £30-£40 cheaper than the Contis. Really??? In the case of the 18" wheels it is more like a gap of £80-£100.

And the way they were banging on about them being "fake" made me annoyed. Has anyone ever tried to pass them off as Contis? Not to my knowledge. If someone is thick enough to not actually be able to read the wording on the tyre then they deserve to be ripped off!

It all smacked a little of Continental getting shirty with a cheaper importer with a SIMILIAR tread pattern.

Scare mongering in my eyes. Yes, you get what you pay for, we all know that. In the real world of my driving, the new tyres have a much better wet and dry braking/handling experience than the 3mm Bridgestones that came off the wheels.

The tyres pass the required BS. Thats all I need to know. Fake Britain indeed.
Ok, granted, may not be exactly 'independant' but i would still call 7 runs with each tyre in the same conditions as an 'accurate representation' of the affects of these 'replica' tyres.

I agree about them getting shirty about the VERY similar tread pattern, but would you not agree that this has ultimately been one of the major factors which has pursueded people on here to buy the tyres in the first place?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
WOW! I was so close to getting a set of these. Just bought some Bridgestones yesterday as I just couldn't convince myself that the Accellera's would be as good as a premium tyre and with a baby on the way didn't want to take the chance.

Makes me feel a bit better about the cost of the Bridgestones now though.:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didn't see the programme as I have an aversion to Dominic Littlewood and anyone of his ilk - (imho) as a general rule these programmes tell the stories of people who are good candidates for the Darwin awards, but this sounds as though it may have been a useful piece as long as taken with a pinch of salt - nothing that's "fake" can be sold legally.

Someone on honestjohn spotted the tyres as "Apollo Accelere" - Some budget tyres can take extra 14m to stop | Motoring discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John

I've only got 1,600 miles on the clock so haven't had the dilemma as yet as to whether to buy premium or budget tyres but will certainly have a look at reviews. A quick look shows the view on Accelera tyres on various forums for various makes is that they're a good tyre.

The test might have been independent but it's not actually very helpful, other than showing that the Contis in the test were better than the budget brand. No two premium tyres are going to give the same stopping distances in any given condition. If the argument is that the compund makes such a difference, how would an eco or long life tyre (I would assume a hard compound) from a premium brand stack up against a sticky tyre (I'm sure Conti used their most sticky for this test)?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts