Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could instruct me on how to remove the accelerator pump? I'm cleaning and rebuilding the carb(s) and it's the last piece and I can't figure it out.

The retaining clip is popped free (loose), so it's just the U shape pump with the spring on one side...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****....so there's no hook or anything keeping it on? When I push down on it the throttle plates move a little, so I figured they were somehow connected a bit.

Hmm...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm sorry :( but I don't have a scanner so I can't show the lovely cross-section view in Pat Braden's book Weber Carburetors. In that you can see that the flat part is attached to the piston and the round rod sits on a pawl attached to the throttle butterfly. As you open the throttle the pawl drops and the spring acting on the piston pushes it down. There is no actual linkage, just the spring pushing down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for telling me it *should* just come out. I eventually bit the bullet and grabbed some cloth-covered pliers and REEEEEEFFFEEEED. It popped out eventually and lo and behold. Somehow some gas or something turned to this black tar glue stuff and held it down. All sorted now. One carb is fully cleaned, ready to be reassembled once my gaskets get here, the second is ready to be soaked.

I can't explain how AWESOME industrial carb/metal cleaner is. Only thing is it forced me to wear a gas mask (seriously...charcoal filters. If you think you've smelled fumes, this is like an hour with your head over varsal in 10 seconds), nitrite gloves, goggles, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts