Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember noticing this when I first bought the car, but had since forgot.

Yesterday I was driving the wife's car and when I got back into my 155 I noticed how stiff the accelerator pedal was. It just seems to need a bit more pressure applied to press down.

Very noticeable compared to a brake pedal which moves freely...and then bites like a B*stard !!

I was just wondering if anyone else notices this, and is it normal on a 155 ?

Ger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HI Ger,

sorry, I can't help you with this one, not noticed it on mine and I've driven a few cars lately - mine didn't appear to have a problem.
good luck
Raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hallo there Ger,
After steam cleaning my engine once the go pedal was stiff and made a dry sort of screeching noise. Lubricated al the linkages, but I cannot remember where exactly the problem was. It was a while back.
Hope this helps.

regards
jacques

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny my wife keeps telling me that my 155 accerelator pedal must be pushed so hard to get something happened. She anyway admits that when pushed enough it gives impressive response
When driveing her Clio I have also noticed how light accerelator pedal it has, but always thought that it is because of smaller car with smaller engine.

Stifens of pedal dont disturb me personally at all. Maybe I have used to it. I have allways thought that it just is like that with 155.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Similarly to Jacques, I had exactly the same problem when my engine was steam-cleaned after having a prang fixed at a BMW Garage (came free, along with a full valet...how the other half live!) Apart from a lovely clean engine bay there seemed to be a mysteriously shiny appearance as well which apparently is some kind of dressing they applied. Some of this stuff had found its way into where the throttle cable emerges from its outer sheath, causing a great amount of friction and resulting in a throttle which wouldn't move until virtually stamping on it and when it finally did move, going to fully open...not very good in heavy traffic! The remedy was liberally dousing the area with hot soapy water and then applying WD-40. Cheers and a Happy New Year to all Alfisti.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys
A stiff accelerator pedal can have two causes 1/linkage is out of alignment or needs lubrication 2/ the previous owner have had the return function updated.
The worst I have experienced with an accelerator pedal was a too soft one – unless you go flat out all the time (which would be nice but is pretty much impossible
) you gets mussel ache holding the foot/pedal back on long journeys.
My 16V is no stiffer that I remember my wife’s Fiat Seicento or from previous cars (Alfas or other).
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys guys !

Guess I'll just have to break out the lubrication, or work on my right leg !

Ger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Mine also went stiff!! after a good clean with degreaser. Just a quick squirt of lubricant did the trick around the linkage and down the cable

·
Registered
715 Posts
A general rule of thumb: If it is hard and stiff, use a lubricant!

This also appiles to Alfa throttles and clutches. I had the same problem to after an engine clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,
another possible cause of the stiffness you describe could be a worn accelerator cable. I had this in a previous car (a mini..), the cable started to deteriorate inside the sheath and as the wire strands started to break they rubbed and caught on the outer sheath. Felt stiffer at first, then started to catch, and eventually as I realised what it might be, it broke, leaving me stranded. I hope yours is just in need of a bit of 'lube. I don't know how much of a pain in the ass changing tha acc' cable in a 155 is.

The pedal should feel stiffer than in some of the cars that have 'feather touch' pedals, but if you're really having to work to use it, there's definately something wrong somewhere.

If 'lube, and then replacement of the cable doesn't help, then there must be something in the throttle housing fouling the mechanism - but I would be very surprised if that was the case.

- Honkytonk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts