Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased four Accelera PHI tyres for my 2.4 JTDm 159 TI Sportswagon.

In australia, not sure about UK, in 19 inch TI we only had a choice of Pirelli & Continental before Accelera came on the market with the correct size and load rating.

I was a little concerned of the mixed reaction by users of these tyres but at a third of the price of the other two brands I thought I would give them a go. I have had Continentals I on my Alfas for the last 12 years.

I have done over 3,000 ks in varying city, country and freeway driving and find these tyres as quiet if not quieter than the Continentals and the handling I have not noticed any discernable difference only that the PHI squel a little more in some situations.

It is only early days yet and wear may be a factor and they may lose grip as they wear but I am impressed by the all round perfomance of these tyres.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Same as the UK, I find them fine too, break away a bit earlier in greasy conditions, but more progressively than the Pirellis and they are a bit quieter.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Do a search, there's a few threads comparing them. I found them decent, workaday tyres and their wear is far superior to Pirelli and Conti. My fronts will be changed over the holiday period and are at 23k whereas the other two were gone at 14k and 16k respectively - factor that into the price too and the Acceleras are a bigger bargain.

I'm slightly worried about noticeably lower grip in poor conditions (but I'm not skating all over the place either) now they are almost on the wear indicators but, it has to be said, the premium brands were equally poor and probably noisier when in the same state.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Jim, do you mean rain?

The Accelera's definitely outperform the Pirelli in the snow, I believe anything would, as the Pirelli has no lateral grooves in the tread pattern.

I dont think I would trust the Accelera on the autobahn's though, as I dont know if I trust their QA from what a tyre fitter told me, they arent consistent.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Acceleras are fine ... a lot of people keep rambling about better grip from continentals and pirelli, but the bottom line is .... if your pushing acceleras hard enough to loose grip and are testing the limits in snowy and icy conditions .... the public highways not the place for you ... your being a dick and putting others lives at risk !

Sounds a bit redtape and jobsworthy i know ..... but its true !

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Acceleras are fine ... a lot of people keep rambling about better grip from continentals and pirelli, but the bottom line is .... if your pushing acceleras hard enough to loose grip and are testing the limits in snowy and icy conditions .... the public highways not the place for you ... your being a dick and putting others lives at risk !

Sounds a bit redtape and jobsworthy i know ..... but its true !
Agreed, but what about in the wet?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agreed, but what about in the wet?
Amounts to the same thing, Dont drive so fast and youll stop in plenty of time ... the car has ACS, ABS, 4 pot brembos, 330mm discs and wide 19" tyres ... you really shouldnt be struggling to stop :) ...

Im heavy with the right foot, and i break the speed limit more regularly than not .... but not to the point were im wondering are these budget acceleras going to stop me as sufficiently as the pirellis i just wore out !

were driving on the public road not fighting over 6/10ths of a second around silverstone

·
Registered
291 Posts
Amounts to the same thing, Dont drive so fast and youll stop in plenty of time ... the car has ACS, ABS, 4 pot brembos, 330mm discs and wide 19" tyres ... you really shouldnt be struggling to stop :) ...

Im heavy with the right foot, and i break the speed limit more regularly than not .... but not to the point were im wondering are these budget acceleras going to stop me as sufficiently as the pirellis i just wore out !

were driving on the public road not fighting over 6/10ths of a second around silverstone
Public roads or not, breaking the speed limit or not, stopping from 70mph in the wet the difference between a new set of Conti's and a set of Accellera's is quite alarming.... however there is always the adverse issue of if you manage to stop quickly on your spangly new conti's, some muppet behind won't be able to stop due to his remoulded nankwanlifreeroadthingimajigs and plough into the back of you:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Amounts to the same thing, Dont drive so fast and youll stop in plenty of time
This rationale doesn't take account of other people. People pulling out in front of you without looking, kids running into roads, people in the opposite carriage way forced to cross into your path to avoid an accident in their lane, tiles blown off rooves, tyre blow outs on other vehicles, motorbikes getting blown over, you never know what you're going to face.

Hence it doesn't matter how careful you plan to be, a shorter stopping distance from your tyres is always going to be safer. But it's absolutely down to paying your money and making your choice.

...and it just so happens that a lot of us ARE trying to improve by 6/10ths on Silverstone :lol:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

But its not all about stopping distances. Its also about can they handle the torque of the FWD 2.4 mjtd's and V6's. I have bridgestones on mine now, and even those start to understeer a little if accelerating hard-ish from 20mph through a bend in the wet. I find with cheap tyres its the sudden understreet in the wet that sets tyres apart.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Jim, do you mean rain?

The Accelera's definitely outperform the Pirelli in the snow, I believe anything would, as the Pirelli has no lateral grooves in the tread pattern.

I dont think I would trust the Accelera on the autobahn's though, as I dont know if I trust their QA from what a tyre fitter told me, they arent consistent.
Yes, but only at my normal level of concern when a tyre is worn. Two weeks ago I drove up to Scotland and it started snowing heavily enough for it to go down to one lane on the M74. Worried about the marginal state of my tyres, I turned off around Moffat and had to back track a mile or so to the opposite slip road. I was really worried in the conditions but, tbh, when I pulled off the M74 it was still driving fine and gripping far better than I expected. I agree the Pirellis were poor in similar conditions - the Accelaras are certainly better in that respect.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
This rationale doesn't take account of other people. People pulling out in front of you without looking, kids running into roads, people in the opposite carriage way forced to cross into your path to avoid an accident in their lane, tiles blown off rooves, tyre blow outs on other vehicles, motorbikes getting blown over, you never know what you're going to face.

Hence it doesn't matter how careful you plan to be, a shorter stopping distance from your tyres is always going to be safer. But it's absolutely down to paying your money and making your choice.
That's a fair comment.:thumbs:

...and it just so happens that a lot of us ARE trying to improve by 6/10ths on Silverstone :lol:
Well, you are on the wrong tyres, obviously! Buy the right stuff for circuit work!;):lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
a shorter stopping distance from your tyres is always going to be safer. QUOTE]

Does anyone actually know that the Acceleras have a worse braking distance or is this just assumption? Have there been any tyre tests with the Phi's in them?
There was an episode of 'Fake Britain' which started this whole argument of about 2 years ago where a comparision was done between Conti Sport 3's and the Accellera's. i cant remember the figures but the difference was considerable..

Found it ......

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/article.asp?id=880

·
Registered
716 Posts
There was an episode of 'Fake Britain' which started this whole argument of about 2 years ago where a comparision was done between Conti Sport 3's and the Accellera's. i cant remember the figures but the difference was considerable..

Found it ......

16/04/2010: Don't be fooled by 'look alike' bargain tyres or you might regret it
Clarity right there

I'd pay a little extra to have another 14metres of air between me and the car in front, rather then being in his boot

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
That test wasnt on th PHI - its a very good tyre, been using them for 12months no problem whatsover.

alfa dealers are supplying them now....tells me all i need to know

·
Registered
254 Posts
That test wasnt on th PHI - its a very good tyre, been using them for 12months no problem whatsover.

Alfa dealers supply DPF filters too, what does that tell you? Or do the dealer's opinions only matter when it's something you agree with?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
291 Posts

It was the PH1 Mikey, that is the Accelera model with the 'replica' tread pattern, the other widely avaliable one is the ***** which is a directional tyre rather than asymetrical.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 332 Posts