Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

anybody know where i can get an accessory/ignition feed in the boot of a 2009 159?

i am fitting front and rear dash cams with parking mode which need an ignition switch connection.
Front done, no problem.

The rear however i am struggling to work out which wire or fuse i need to use for this.
The fuse board in the boot has a row of fuses along the bottom that are on regardless of ignition.
The top two fuses don't appear to provide feed ignition on or off?

There does appear to be a switch feed as there is a metal contact in the middle of the fuse board that switches with ignition (but i cant connect to easily), and the brake lights only work with ignition on.

anybody done this or know what i can use for ignition switch?

thanks in advance.
:)

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I ran one from the rear cigarette lighter...under the carpet and back seat to the boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran one from the rear cigarette lighter...under the carpet and back seat to the boot.
thanks for the reply and suggestion.

there is a rear cigarette lighter?
or do you mean from the rear of THE cigarette lighter?

any tips on a good way to get to it and route the wire?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi

Follow the wire from the left (nearside) light cluster on the boot lid across the boot hinge into the boot. Just at it gets into the boot pull back the carpet material and there is a hole in the metalwork in which hides a connector one of whose pins contains a switched +12V. Check with a volt meter.

I spliced a wire onto the wire on the 'car side' of the connector to get a feed for the rear camera.

Cheers
James

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Follow the wire from the left (nearside) light cluster on the boot lid across the boot hinge into the boot. Just at it gets into the boot pull back the carpet material and there is a hole in the metalwork in which hides a connector one of whose pins contains a switched +12V. Check with a volt meter.

I spliced a wire onto the wire on the 'car side' of the connector to get a feed for the rear camera.

Cheers
James
sounds very promising!
thanks for the tip.
i will report back

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
thanks for the reply and suggestion.

there is a rear cigarette lighter?
or do you mean from the rear of THE cigarette lighter?

any tips on a good way to get to it and route the wire?
The lighter for the rear seat passengers......but the above suggestion looks a cleaner option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi

Cheers
James
i found a block connector where the wires from the boot are plugged into the wiring loom, - although this wasn't inside the metalwork..

Initially when i tested this i found that there were two igniton live wires: black/yellow wire, and green/yellow wire but this afternoon i have been unable to recreate this.. i have been testing the contacts with the block connector unplugged to give access to the pins, and i now have found that some wires are on or not depending whether the car is locked or unlocked and if you lock some stay on for 15 seconds or so then switch off. At one point all contacts were off so i plugged the connectors back together and the boot light came on instantly - some wires had power again..
I really could not find one that was simply an ignition live, i know its hot but really disappointed with myself that i cant get my head round it!

The dashcam charges when i use the lighter socket wire, but its not working with the hardwire kit,

Either i am doing something wrong or the hardwire kit is faulty.
Think for today i will retire and have another go on another day, its wayyy to hot..

***edit***>>> ok so had another look and have found that you can push a blade connector into the boot fuse board where there appears to be a switch live, and piggy backed off one of the lower fuses which has power all the time.
The dashcam now appears to be powering/charging as expected so it might be working.. need to confirm the parking mode etc later.

A TIP: don't unplug the block connector from boot lid to wiring loom, then decide to get out the sun and shut the boot. - you will find yourself crawling through from the cabin to plug the connectors back together to open the boot. (or using the emergency cable) :eek:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi

Also, when you stand at the back of the car fiddling with wires in the boot trying to find a feed - that funny beeping noise in the cab is the parking sensor seeing your legs!

I'm surprised at your findings, the feed I found went on and off with my ignition key. I wonder if you have set the side lights to stay on after leaving the car? But it is of no consequence, especially as I have now managed to rip my stupid chinese head unit out and am now delighting in how marvellous the original HU is. So blissful to have an HU that works again!!!!!

Cheers
James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts