Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello alfisti,

I recently have an interesting problem with my 1997 1.8 TS V16. The fuse of the AC pump keeps going out, from time to time, but is can not be reliably reprocuded.

The first time it went out, I changed it and drowe approx. 70 km. Then it gone out again, and that time I managed to go only approx. 10 meters (!) since it went out again. Then I trailered it into a service, but they say that they can't find anything and can not reproduce the problem. But I can't trust the car in this condition!

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem??? I'm in a very bad need of help! Thanks in advance for any tips! :confused:

Kristof Kovacs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Kristof

What is the AC pump?...
Is that the electrical clutch for engaging the A/C-compressor or is it the fuel pump

Christian :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I meant the fuel pump.
It's called that way around here, and I don't know the exact english expression...

No advances, yet, altough. The service still says that "we are looking, but found nothing yet". :(

To be on the safe side, I bought 10 pieces of 10 mA fuses, but this is not really the solution.... And if the Alfa service can't fix it, who will??? :confused:

Kristof

·
Registered
49 Posts
Electrically speaking, you have an intermittent short circuit. Usually this problem happens when the car is moving.

Otherwise, like most electrical pumps, there is a motor and this thing uses a lot of current. Does the fuse blow when you floor the accelerator?

Just before the engine comes on when you are turning the ignition key, does the 'whirr' sound from the pump sounding different now?

I hope it is just a contact problem and not a pump problem which could be expensive to fix.

By the way, what happens when the fuse blows? Does the car stop suddenly? You say this fuse is 10mA. Where is it as 10mA is a low current fuse usually used in controls.
kenneth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Kenneth,

Yes, it happened always when the car was moving. Even more axactly, always when I just started running from a standing position.

I was not flooring when it has blown out, but I'll try it (currently the car is at the service, so unfortunately I can't try it out right now). The same for the whirring sound. I'll try these out before taking the car from the service, maybe with your tips i'll manage to reproduce it reliably. That would already be a great thing.

The fuse that blows out is near the battery, in the box that stands vertically if you look at the car from the front. It holds two fuses and two bigger things (relays?). The one that blows out is the right-side fuse.
(Unfortunately, even by owner's manual is in the car now...)

When it blows out, the motor stops running (does not get fuel). I have ignition, have everything electrical, but no fuel. Also, my power steering stops (maybe this is a side effect).

I also hope it will be a contact problem, but now i'd be glad to pay a higher sum just to have things fixed!

Thanks for your tips!

Kristof

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Maybe the short circuit is because a wire is rubbing at some part of the engine?..if this is going on for a while, the insulation will disappear, and live wire can touch ground.
This may explain why it only happens when you start, because then the engine moves/rocks a bit and enough for short circuit to happen.

Try to "follow" the wire from the fuseholder and as long as you can to detect faults...and then do the same from the pump (you have to remove a plastic cover to get to the pump).

Periodic faults are a *****...hard to deal with ;)

Have a nice weekend.

Christian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I noticed is that altough I have a
10A fuse at that place, the manual (altough the manual for an older version of the 155) says that the fuel pump's fuse should be 15A. I changed it now and now it will turn out if that goes out too...

But could someone please double-check it for me? What kind of fuse do you guys have?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kristof
On my '96 2,0 16v it's a 10A fuse. That what the owner’s manual says it should be.
The lead from the fuse holder is only visible for about 10 cm before it disappears inside a lead tube.
A tip, have an auto electrician look at the problem as they are better equipped and experienced to deal with such a problem.
Good luck getting a solution.
Alfisti regards
Erik

1 - 9 of 9 Posts