Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
£95 doesn't seem to bad tbh, think nore of a check over at 9k but still its got to be an hours labour+ for the mechanic? Did they change anything?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Wonder what there is to check on a 9k car? Did they give him a report after?

·
Administrator
87,613 Posts
Wonder what there is to check on a 9k car? Did they give him a report after?

There's a list of all the 9K/12 month checks in the Owner Manual, many are visual.

·
Administrator
87,613 Posts
It's always worth asking for a quotation before booking in the car for any work ;) Also for the 9K/12 month check if it was me I'd also get an oil & filter change while the car was in the garage, the price difference might not be that much more either.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spend a lot of time in China, and my son uses the car mostly he saw the light come on booked the car in, I only found a few days later or I would definitely had an oil change done as well.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think this is a rip off too. If anything the 9k visual check should be free and if anything needs repairing then yes, a charge.

I'm very lucky. I paid upfront for 3 services, £640 in total. Considering my first year service on my old Mito was £375 after knocking him down I thought this was a good deal. I'm also a low milage user so had my first year service was at 14 months with only 5.5K on the clock, had all the oils changes, filters, visual check done 1st August. Service checks are slightly different for low milage users so theres no visual check at 9k but you have to book a service after a year, not at 2 year or xxx miles. I will have a full service mid next year.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I paid £150 for the same "service" (at a main dealer) on my GQV so think you did quite well there! I was originally quoted closer to £250 which for an oil change was quite frankly embarrassing. Nearly spat my coffee out! :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I paid £150 for the same "service" (at a main dealer) on my GQV so think you did quite well there! I was originally quoted closer to £250 which for an oil change was quite frankly embarrassing. Nearly spat my coffee out! :)
Where do you live, Monaco?

:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
How much does a professionals time cost? Looking at the warranty paperwork it looks like £85 +VAT is what they pay. I suppose it could be worse. Local solicitor charges £8.50 +vat per minute, Doctors were charging £150 an hour +VAT and that was 15 years ago.....and I wouldn't want him checking my car over!!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
How much does a professionals time cost? Looking at the warranty paperwork it looks like £85 +VAT is what they pay. I suppose it could be worse. Local solicitor charges £8.50 +vat per minute, Doctors were charging £150 an hour +VAT and that was 15 years ago.....and I wouldn't want him checking my car over!!
Exactly...!
Some people clearly think that garages are just in it for fun and will happily do work for free. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Exactly...!
Some people clearly think that garages are just in it for fun and will happily do work for free. :rolleyes:
Some do, knowing that you'll be back with more business shortly - my tyre fitters like that - fixes the puncture for free knowing I'll be spending hundreds on a set of four later in the year!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our dealer is normally very good maybe didn't recognise my son, 95 quid if you do the sums wages paye etc works out, but if most of the checks are visual then that's rubbish. I remember the 1k mile Renault 5 GT turbo service which was free including oil and filter, showing my age.

·
Administrator
87,613 Posts
Some of the checks might be visual but that doesn't mean the car doesn't need to go into the workshop & up on a ramp, then there's the time spent doing the checks, it all adds up & also means a technical isn't available to do any "real work" while he's working on the car ;)
Taking all that into consideration I think £95 is fairly reasonable.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Well, £95 is pretty rich considering a properly done MOT costs £55, which I would guess is a much more thorough check. I have no problem with garages charging for their time, I think the real question is whether Alfa should be covering the visual inspection of a car that has recently been bought brand new.

(Yes, I know you can get an MOT for £35, but I prefer to get it done by someone who knows Alfas inside out, and I always walk away with a list of niggles and observations that are nothing to do with the MOT, but need fixing all the same)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wouldn't quibble at £95.00

I don't understand why people think this or anything should be free. Visual checks still require time in the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Time is money. I know it's s visual check, but I really don't think that that technician just walks round it & says yeah that's ok. I also think that if you wanted to talk to the technician to get your extra info you could. It does of course beg the question why are Alfa doing it? Perhaps to keep an eye on their cars, to make sure they work well and minor issues are put to bed, get customers into the dealers to give them a better service & build a strong relationship with them?

Reactions: westernparts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chris Variava Nottingham £99 for the 9k "check" and £210 for the check and oil and filter change..my only complaint is that the 9k service ,I only found out when I read the manual after buying the car and was "recommended" I have the oil change at as well....with all the MA issues I feel sort of pushed into having both done so I am "cast iron" covered later down the line..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts