Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this has completely flummoxed me.

Just put my GTV on the road today after buying it a few weeks ago. There was evidence of water ingress in the bottom of the boot when I bought it (the carpet was a bit darker but was dry at the time).

The car has been sat outside in the rain a few times since I bought it (never driven anywhere) and I have been keeping an eye on the inside of the boot - never any water. I checked again today BEFORE going out for my first drive - no water in the boot. It hasn't rained at all today and the roads were not wet, yet I checked the boot after a 3 mile journey and there's a small pool of water in the bottom!

WHAT THE HELL.

Please, any advice or insight??

The sides of the inside of the boot don't seem to be wet, it's literally just the bottom where it has pooled.

Many thanks, Dan

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
That would say to me that the water has been there pooled somewhere and driving has caused it to flow to the boot floor.

Possible areas -

Aerial : You can gently remove the two plastic rivets and check the area around the aerial for wetness. If the aerial grommet is incorrect/hardened, the water may be coming in there.

Badge : There should be ( if memory serves ) a rubber gasket between the boot lock and the metalwork. If that is missing or hardened water could be collecting in the boot lid and flowing out when moving. Again, remove the plastic rivets and check for water in the boot lid structure.

Seals : Check the boot seal all the way around and that the boot lid is adjusted correctly to meet the seal.

Rear window : Check around the rear window to ensure the window isn't separating from the adhesive.

I can't think of much else really.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I gave up looking after year 5 of ownership...................... i have had the same issue sometimes there is sometimes there is not, I even put a sprinkling of flour in so i could trace its route to the floor ( hell of a mess )

good luck with tracking it down let us know what you find this is a common problem

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it has to be collecting somewhere, I'm just surprised/concerned that that amount of water could sit somewhere undetected. I'm also surprised that the carpet on the walls of the boot weren't wet but I guess thinking about it now that means that the water flowed down behind the carpet.

Thanks for your input, seems like an awkward one to solve

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is another suspect.
Quite possible rust holes to the rear wheelarches (there are many spots they can rust through, no two cars he same) , or seams between boot and floor pan &/or rear valance have rusted allowing water in.

I'd take out the boot floor trim & rear wheelarch liners for starters, to allow inspection.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave up looking after year 5 of ownership...................... i have had the same issue sometimes there is sometimes there is not, I even put a sprinkling of flower in so i could trace its route to the floor ( hell of a mess )

good luck with tracking it down let us know what you find this is a common problem
I assume you mean flour and you weren't just trying to grow flowers in the wetness?

That's very funny though, and kind of genius, shame it didn't work!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is another suspect.
Quite possible rust holes to the rear wheelarches (there are many spots they can rust through, no two cars he same) , or seams between boot and floor pan &/or rear valance have rusted allowing water in.

I'd take out the boot floor trim & rear wheelarch liners for starters, to allow inspection.
How does one remove the rear arch liners? Not something I've done before

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Flour yes......................and of course the boot carpet has a waterproof backing to is so any tests have to be with all the carpet out, Was a mystery to me but would welcome some fresh input into it, its been a while since i gave up on this issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The're held in by screws, but the liner is really awkward to get out of the tight space.

Use the forum search, its been covered in detail in previous posts.

It helps to slide the rear bumper back.

Its areal fingers crossed moment as the liner comes out,
brace yourself there can be a real horror show of rust behind,
I'd hope a 2000 car you catch it in time, worth doing for peace of mind.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I gave up looking after year 5 of ownership...................... i have had the same issue sometimes there is sometimes there is not, I even put a sprinkling of flour in so i could trace its route to the floor ( hell of a mess )

Eggs and milk whisked in with that flour and you'll have a good Yorkshire Pudding mix ! :hehe:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
The're held in by screws, but the liner is really awkward to get out of the tight space.

Use the forum search, its been covered in detail in previous posts.

It helps to slide the rear bumper back.

Its areal fingers crossed moment as the liner comes out,
brace yourself there can be a real horror show of rust behind,
I'd hope a 2000 car you catch it in time, worth doing for peace of mind.
Another thing to add to my future to do list. No water in my boot however would be peace of mind knowing what condition things are under wheel arch liners.

Putting a lot into my GTV for first year of ownership to make it the very best I can. Want to enjoy it in 2018 when I think I will have invested as much as cost of car which was a very tidy example. Bodywork may be year after so 2019 or perhaps I will take to someone to remove wheel liners as not sure want to see a horror show.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My water leak was from the rear light bar seal. Water would run down the channels either side if the boot, over the light bar, through the foam rings and into the boot. Sometimes worse than others with no rhyme or reason. Sealed in the light seal with silicone sealant, dry as a bone since! Same as said above that it might be pooling somewhere then moving when driving.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My water leak was from the rear light bar seal. Water would run down the channels either side if the boot, over the light bar, through the foam rings and into the boot. Sometimes worse than others with no rhyme or reason. Sealed in the light seal with silicone sealant, dry as a bone since! Same as said above that it might be pooling somewhere then moving when driving.

sounds like its plausible, one to check

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If your seal either far side of the light bar is warped like mine was after 20 years then it's a fairly good chance. I could put my finger behind mine. You'd think the water would just run down behind the bumper, or even if it did go onto the top of the light bar it would be stopped by the foam rings sealing it to the rear boot panel, but it doesn't. I was getting a lot of water in the light bar itself too, it all stopped once I'd dried out the light, and sealed around the seal. I was meant to use a proper car body polyurethane sealant, but I ordered it off the net and was a bit slow coming, and rain was due, so I opted to use some black bathroom silicone sealant for the time being, and to be honest it's worked a treat. Just hope I don't have to remove the bar any time soon!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had to put rubber sealer on the same seal too when i first got my gtv,water was getting into both the boot and into light unit.Been watertight for 4 yrs now,even though i didn't manage the most aesthetically pleasing effort

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I look under the boot of my GTV right in the middle is an indentation with what looks like a drain hole; assuming yours is the same -maybe water is coming in through that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
in my phase 1 TS the rubber seal under the boot lock/badge was the problem. I removed the rear lock, cleaned and treated the rubber with some rubber conditioner since it was a very dry. ( i hoped to increase the volume/thickness of the rubber with some extra silicone oil.) this made the leak better, but didn't fix it completely.

The boot/trunk liners are very easy to remove without tools BTW. side and rear-side of the cabin can be wiggled loose. the bottom/rear piece is held in by a couple of the white plastic thumb-nuts.

I found the source of the leak by eliminating possible sources whilst having all the liners out and leave some paper towels in a couple of locations. First taped of the lock with some gaffer tape (the kind that doesn't leave glue marks(nishiban)) and that was my leak.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You can increase the thickness of old rubber by soaking in petrol. I did this for an old fuel cap/bung for a 52 year old motorbike. It worked a treat.

I wouldn't recommend this treatment for those out of date condoms, though......

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
You can increase the thickness of old rubber by soaking in petrol. I did this for an old fuel cap/bung for a 52 year old motorbike. It worked a treat.

I wouldn't recommend this treatment for those out of date condoms, though......
Especially if it is 'in situ'!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts