Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I've had a look at other threads on this and the solution seems to be to change the battery

I've recently had a new battery insnstalled (long story) Today I got the error in very low tempetures with snow. I was able to drive home (about 40 mins) averaging 40 miles an hour.

Stopped the engine when I parked up at home and restarted however the error came up again.

I was putting it down to cold weather and frozen/snow covered censor. However I'm concerned it might be something else. IF the censor needs to be replaced will ABS etc work probably need it given the icey weather!

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi Folks

I've had a look at other threads on this and the solution seems to be to change the battery

I've recently had a new battery insnstalled (long story) Today I got the error in very low tempetures with snow. I was able to drive home (about 40 mins) averaging 40 miles an hour.

Stopped the engine when I parked up at home and restarted however the error came up again.

I was putting it down to cold weather and frozen/snow covered censor. However I'm concerned it might be something else. IF the censor needs to be replaced will ABS etc work probably need it given the icey weather!

Thanks
I would advise not doing anything until the snow and slush has cleared, as the wheels spin the snow is thrown around possibly obscuring the sensor, the brake pedal switch is also a likely candidate and as you say the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same problem this morning as well. -4 degrees celsius

Brakes were working perfect so i drove it any way.

When i restarted the car an hour or so later warning had disappeared.

Probably c the same warning tomorrow morning

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had the same problems: PLUS it telling me it's now 0 miles to service and the car not starting at all.

No idea what to do with it.

I can't even drive to a garage and getting it out of my snowed-in drive will be very difficult.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
It's nothing to do with the battery. Mine has a new one and still gets this issue.

Again, excess slip causes the system to shut down, due to out of range readings from the sensors.
It is not that the sensors are covered in snow either.

You pull off, one drive wheels spins faster than the other, and the back wheels don't move - the ECU sees this as impossible and shuts down.

Turn the engine off, start again making sure none of the wheels slip or lock and the 'fault' will correct itself. It's all part of the ABS/EBD/VDC failsafe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's nothing to do with the battery. Mine has a new one and still gets this issue.

Again, excess slip causes the system to shut down, due to out of range readings from the sensors.
It is not that the sensors are covered in snow either.

You pull off, one drive wheels spins faster than the other, and the back wheels don't move - the ECU sees this as impossible and shuts down.

Turn the engine off, start again making sure none of the wheels slip or lock and the 'fault' will correct itself. It's all part of the ABS/EBD/VDC failsafe.
Just started again in my parking space same errors coming up

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hand brake pads can freeze on as well - results in the same error as it overloads the abs brain!

Reactions: Mighty-147

·
Registered
12 Posts
the brake pedal switch is also a likely candidate and as you say the battery.
I had the VDC/ABS issue in the summer and it was solved by replacing the brake switch. it has been snowing with -13C regularly here for the last few weeks and my battery has gone flat, yet the problem hasn't come back, so in my experience the battery played no part in the fault.

R

·
0 Posts
I've had ABS and ASR shutdowns due to low battery and charging problems, but I've never had it all shut down after purposely pulling the handbrake, letting off, steering into the skid and booting it!! I think the "brain" is pretty clever and can recover fairly quickly once normal readings are established. If your's shuts down for a complete journey there has been an irrecoverable failure of a sensor or system.

R

·
0 Posts
When my wheel bearing reluctor was damaged the system tried to work once, pulling violently to one side and then shut down until the ignition was switched off and then started again. Just how I found it!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Yes, your system shut down because there was an irrecoverable failure. Even if the failure had been recoverable, the lights would have stayed illuminated for the entire journey.
The system will not test itself until it is started again, simple as that. If it finds that the fault has gone, the lights will extinguish, if the fault is still evident, they lights will stay illuminated. Should the fault reoccur, they will illuminate again until the system is reset by restarting the car and driving it.

·
0 Posts
Yes, your system shut down because there was an irrecoverable failure. Even if the failure had been recoverable, the lights would have stayed illuminated for the entire journey.
The system will not test itself until it is started again, simple as that. If it finds that the fault has gone, the lights will extinguish, if the fault is still evident, they lights will stay illuminated. Should the fault reoccur, they will illuminate again until the system is reset by restarting the car and driving it.
filipharvey, you seem to know your stuff, there was a juddering in my brake pedal earlier as I braked upon approaching a junction in slippery conditions - should I abandon the car, until I get it seen too?
;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
filipharvey, you seem to know your stuff, there was a juddering in my brake pedal earlier as I braked upon approaching a junction in slippery conditions - should I abandon the car, until I get it seen too?
;)
The juddering you felt was the ABS cutting in because the wheels were slipping, if you have a problem with the ABS system then it shuts itself off giving you the warning lights - the braking system will work normally albeit without the ABS feature.

·
0 Posts
The juddering you felt was the ABS cutting in because the wheels were slipping, if you have a problem with the ABS system then it shuts itself off giving you the warning lights - the braking system will work normally albeit without the ABS feature.
Sorry, I was taking the **** :eek: - was meant as a joke with pfilipfp - there's tons of these kinds of questions all over the forum since the weather turned ;)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
add another one - mine did it last night, well about 2am and -3 degrees C leaving my mate's house! I put it down to a bit of ice on a sensor or something cos a bit of hard braking and some handbrake "action" brought it all back to normal :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts