Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had to replace the connector on a 147 reversing switch after finding one of the wires had broken off.

However, after reconnecting the battery I'm getting abs/vdc failure reported.

I've seen on here that people mentioned a connector behind the battery being the possible cause but am not sure what one this might be; has anyone got any pointers?

The battery is only about a year old (as that was another common cause reported)

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
there are 2 earth leads near the ECU, a small star bolt directly onto the ecu under the air intake pipe and a larger 13mm nut bolting a wire to the inlet manifold, also have you disturbed any wires or relays on the battery fuse box?? Hope this helps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only took off the two main battery terminals, removed the battery & fiddled with the reversing switch connector. If anything was disturbed it was only inadvertent.

Once I get the chance and some daylight I'll take another look and check the points you mention. I hope it's going to be that simple.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Does your reversing light work ? If not it's possible fixing the switch connector is blowing the fuse for the reversing light due to a short in the reversing light circuit (possibly where the wires go through the body work to the light cluster). This fuse also affects the ABS which will give you the warnings you report.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, reversing light didn't work after the fix & F35 was indeed blown:cool:
The lights on the AC controls have also gone but I feel like progress is being made at least (for now LOL... touch wood ... etc hehe) .. i'll check a couple of other things before I replace thus fuse

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Right, I had the same problem. Reverse lights didn't work so I pulled out the light cluster to check bulb which was OK. Worked out the wiring to the reverse switch was broken so fixed this and reverse light worked. 2 weeks later stuck car in reverse and the ABS warning came on, AC control lights went out etc. Changed fuse F35, stuck it in reverse ... fuse blew again. Worked out in the end that when I replaced the light cluster I trapped a wire against the bodywork which eventually rubbed through and shorted. Still think it's nuts that a dodgy reversing light, AC light and some other minor stuff can blow a fuse that kills your ABS. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts