Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been a member for years but haven’t had an Alfa for a while. Picked up a 2.4 159 the other week for peanuts. Needs work and is a bit of a project.

Anyway, replaced the front wheel arch liners last weekend and a few days after got the ABS/ASR/VDC/hill holder warnings coming on and off. They were intermittent for a few days and then became permanent even before ignition. Coming on at MAF.

I’ve searched on here and checked and changed clutch and brake pedal switches. Changed the ABS fuses. Cleaned the battery terminals and earth points. Gonna check the injector leads as well today.

Guy I bought it from said he’d put a new battery in last year so hadn’t considered that but I’ve just discovered it’s a 72/650 battery. This strikes me as a pretty low capacity battery for the 2.4. Agree or disagree?

Haven’t got diagnostics software yet so will get that but may change the battery anyway.

Any thoughts welcome!

Good to be back in an Alfa!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, should say I checked the ABS sensors cause I thought maybe I’d disturbed them changing the liners but look ok, although can’t be sure without software. The fact the warning comes on before startup makes me think it’s not them.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My guess would be the usual battery voltage or bad grounding issues. That said when I had that it was a bad front left ABS sensor....a week or so after I starting getting the warnings you get I also started getting the speedo dropping to zero! One new sensor £8 (new old stock) and it all worked....this however did lead to me spotting that the wheel bearing which incorporates the reluctor ring for the sensor was also knackered (excess play and rust)….so not so cheap after all. Go with battery first. If the car has not been used a while before you bought it, it could just need a good charge...if you are very lucky!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update. Checked and cleaned the injector connections. All seemed fine but I’m sure a clean didn’t hurt. I also did a battery disconnect. Interestingly, when I reconnected and put the key in the warning lights went out... started the car and almost instantaneously they came back on... car hadn’t moved.

I’m picking up a new battery today so will change that anyway. See what happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. Changed the battery. Light went out. Went for a drive, they came back on. Now thinking maybe it is a sensor. Although noticeable different with the new (correct) battery so no big loss there. I’ll order some sensors this week and report back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. I've not used the car for a few days and had a hankering to drive it again so took the kids to school in it this morning. Started up - no warning lights. Now I'm thinking it's not the sensor....

What the hell? I'm expecting them to come back on and have ordered front abs sensors so will change them anyway but do we just put this down to random Alfa-ness.... There has to be more to it than that. Could it have taken a few days for the fault to settle with the new battery? I find that hard to believe as I'd think if the battery/earth points was the problem then as soon as that was sorted the lights would go out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dodgy alternator maybe?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
It could be as simple as the ABS fuse has dirty contacts or is faulty. If not that ------ Go ahead with what you have planned and if no joy consider having the ABS ECU checked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Got the sensors and at this today. Removing the front abs sensor the whole head has snapped off leaving the sensor in the hole flush with the fitting. I’ve tried screwing in to it to loosen it with no job. Hammering it. No joy. Can’t get the drill in there in situ. Any other suggestions before I start major disassembly?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Have you tried some gentle heating around the sensor. Quench with water and repeat. Some persuasion with a hammer in between heating/cooling cycles could work. Wear eye protection. ------That's my history as a physics teacher emerging!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestion. Now, gentle heat are we talking hairdryer heat or blowtorch heat? I’ve packed up for today so will give this a shot over the weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Blowtorch helped and managed to get them out... I won’t bore you with all the tedious frustrating details. Anyway. Lights went out. For a while. Now seem to be coming on randomly... over 30mph... not all the time... any thoughts? I’m wondering if there’s a bit of crap left on one of the rings....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts