Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little post to warn fellow ABS equipped car owners of a little problem I have discovered with the system.

On my 1995 V6 the little red ABS light comes on and off as is normal when you turn the key in the ignition. However, this DOES NOT mean the system is working. I have been placing faith in this little light totally. Today on the way home from a supermarket, some clever chap in a BMW decided to pull out from a side junction about 25 yards ahead of me. He then stopped in the road bloking it both ways, clever chap!

Anyway. I produced foul language and stamped on the brakes, aimed for the bus stop in front of the junction in a bid to miss the prize sized *** in the BMW. Brakes stamped on and locked. NO ABS ASSISTANCE AT ALL!!!!!!!!! Gently slid to a halt on the very wet road missing said ***. Who sheepishly re-started his car and drove off. Not good. I drove home and dropped off the now broken eggs etc.

When I went to check the ABS again on a muddy bit of wet building site, again, little light did the on then off thing fine, but no ABS assistance at all when the brakes locked up!

The ABS fuse in the auxilliary fuse/relay box had blown!!!

Therefore, don't count on your ABS system, the little light lies!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would check my fuse in my 1995 V6 but I haven't got a clue where it is ??????
My ABS light always comes on then goes off as you describe, and you then think all is o.k
HELP
cheers
mcenroe :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know the feeling! The little red book that comes with the car says there is an auxilliary fuse board with relays on next to the main fuse board. What it doesn't say is that you have to remove the lower right hand side trim panel (with the headlight beam height wheel on it). To get it off, you unscrew the philips head screw on the side on the panel (The lower screw only visible when the door is open!) Then you slowly and carefully pull the panel directly away from the dash in a horizontal plane towards the drivers seat. The panel pops off of two metal clips and the wires to the headlight beam doofah leave it dangling. The ABS fuse on mine was under a translucent push fit cap on a relay. It was a 30 AMP one. I only had a 20 to replace it so that will have to do for now!

Good luck. The fuses for lots of other bits are there too like the electric windows and stuff.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks a lot.
I haven't got an owner's handbook and can't seem to get hold of one from anywhere.
Went to the main dealers and they say they are not available any more just like the workshop manuals.They only like current models. :D
thanks again

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting point this andy because for the MOT im only required to check that the light works and then goes off.!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its worrying because it says in the little red book that it should go off. I put faith in it! Wonder how many other cars are in a similar position!

Oh Jimybob. On the topic of lights going off, my little red book also says that the injector warning light should do the same go on then turn off thing. However my injector warning light doesn't go off until the engine starts.
Is this a problem?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not sure ive never noticed....my jtd goes off after 4sec if the engine is running or not.!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy

Not sure about the Auxilliary Panel you describe. There is one thats accessible by lowering the first one. Its hinged at the front and lowers towards you as you grovel in the footwell.

Are we talking abou the same thing here?

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well, I'm sure that if it was something important it would get worse, like blink at me or say 'Pull over I'm sick!'

That would be a cool add on to a car. It actually tells you when its ill. Might patent that one!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does it go off at EXACTLY the same time as the alternator light...????????????????

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Erm, no. The injector light goes of as soon as you turn the key to start the car. The Alternator and Oil Pressure light go off as soon as the engine fires.

Is this good or bad news?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats ok then some people connect the inj light to the alt light to hide the constant inj light faults.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy,according to the handbook l've got,it states that the fuse for the ABS is 10AMP.Thats for both the V6 and the Twin Spark.

------------------
Ian H

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My right buttock pocket muscle can relax once more! The cash is safe for now! Will be making an appointment for Bedlam to get some TLC from you at the end of January. Will drop you a PM closer to the time Jimybob.

Cheers much old bean

Andy

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right-e-o then. :) ..........now wheres my calculator and new pen...... :D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wallet now jumping about in a worried way!

Will have to start a new paper round to pay for it!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could just steal the kiddies dinner money.!!!! eek!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know the old saying 'stealing candy from a baby is a lie! They scream and scream till you give it back!'

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The little red light goes on and off the same on mine. But knowing Alfa and their supreme knowledege of construction I check mine works 3-4 times a week by trying to lock up!!!!!!!Ok a little paranoid but is it any wonder. wink

Far easier to use the brute force and ignorance method than look for this little fuse as I would also be another without a clue where to start! :D

MAK

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, I think we have a mess here.
My 16 V. has a 10 amp. red fuse in the same auxiliary fuse box that describes AndyMac, but the important fuse for the ABS function is a big 60 amp. fuse located near the ABS ( in the bonnet) and a little black box with others fuses.

Have you find it ? :confused:
Cheers
Jorge

1 - 20 of 33 Posts