Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have had the ABS light on for a while now in my 156, took it for a MOT and obviously it failed. It also failed on a wishbone and a split CV boot. I bought the parts to replace them today and set about fitting them, when i came to do the CV boot it looks like its been split for a while as the whole area was covered in grease which had escaped

I guessed that this could of caused the ABS failure by clogging the sensor so i cleaned it all away and put it back together but the light is still on.

I went for a drive on the airfield trying to lock the wheels up to see if the ABS was actually failing but i couldnt lock the wheels for the life of me, drove up to 120mph and slammed the brakes on using both feet knowing that this should lock them but still nothing :confused:

Im lost now and cant think what the cause could be any help would be greatly apreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
When you tried to lock them, could you feel the ABS working?

Rather than getting it to 120mph, it would be a lot easier to test at a lower speed on a loose surface.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you tried to lock them, could you feel the ABS working?

Rather than getting it to 120mph, it would be a lot easier to test at a lower speed on a loose surface.
Sorry forgot to mention, no i couldnt feel it working (but i have felt it in the past so i know what to expect.)

I did try at various different speeds and while cornering but still nothing, not had a chance to try on a loose surface yet but im off to a chinese tonight and the carpark is gravel there :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Grease itself isn't likely to cause an ABS sensor error unless there is a lot of metallic dust stuck in it.

It is more likely one of the sensors has failed. Locate the connecting plug of each one in turn, disconnect and test the resistance using a multimeter.

A good one will give about 1000ohms. If it's much higher or much lower, replace.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hello

I went for a drive on the airfield trying to lock the wheels up to see if the ABS was actually failing but i couldnt lock the wheels for the life of me, drove up to 120mph and slammed the brakes on using both feet knowing that this should lock them but still nothing :confused:
I think you'll find it hard to lock at 120mph+. As David said, it might be better to try a lower speed. Even 40mph?

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you braked that hard from 120mph, youve probably cooked the brakes anyway. Also, if you had any failure at that speed, the last thing youll be worrying about is the ABS light.

Id try it at lower speeds as has been said.

On another note, ive just sorted out my 147 ABS problem. Bought a Alfa Diag cable from Rarebear on here, and used the free Fiat software. Found the fault straight away. All for about £40.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify i did try it at all speeds not just high speeds. Tried it on grass last night aswell and did feel it working once or twice

Next thing i think is to test the sensors. See what comes out

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
If you braked that hard from 120mph, youve probably cooked the brakes anyway. Also, if you had any failure at that speed, the last thing youll be worrying about is the ABS light.

Id try it at lower speeds as has been said.

On another note, ive just sorted out my 147 ABS problem. Bought a Alfa Diag cable from Rarebear on here, and used the free Fiat software. Found the fault straight away. All for about £40.
Thanks Sharpshooter ! but there are still people who go the trial and error way...
cars (like our Alfas) controlled by electronics need computers to investigate the ECU
its that simple ! the first thing when you bring your car with a problem to a dealer , he plugs in Examiner....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts