Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have read all the previous information and just before I start replacing parts I would like an opinion or to. I have the ABS/ Handbrake light/ Speedo not working combination. But sometimes I turn the engine on and all is fine then it will go back to not working and the ABS light will flicker when I use the brake. I also have a invoice in the history for the ABS unit to have been replaced with a recon part in may 2012. Any ides I could try would be welcome. Its a 2.0 T.S Spider year 2000.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi mate i had the exact same problem and the info kept leading me in different locations

so i took the plunge and bought a ABS pump/ecu and it cured the problem straight away

Shame the other one on yours only lasted since 2012 must just be bad luck

hope this helps i spent months trying to find the problem

Got it from steve clark alfa breakers in birmingham for £55

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and replies, Looks like I will have to get a recon unit.
I will get all the lights out on the dash.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
On my TS the ABS light would flicker on and off. There was something you could do to get it to come on but I cant remember, it was a while ago.

I took it to a gravel car park to test it out, when the light was off it would work and low and behold, when the light was on it would skid to a stop.

I can't remember why (maybe budget) but knowing the discs and pads were shot I left it in to my mechanic to replace them and the brake fluid but I didn't change anything to do with the ABS or anything else.

When I got the car back the ABS problem had gone completely and never came back in the couple of years I kept it for.

So, to cut a long story short, it might be worth checking out the condition of the rest of your braking system first. I suspect it was dirt in the fluid causing a blockage but who knows.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jon, I tried some very heavy braking when the lights were out and the speedo was working. im sure I got the abs activated but the lights came back on. I will try giving all the brakes a clean out with compressed air.
I have found a company www.autotekelectronics.com who say they can repair the control module if I send them that, with no need to interfere with the ABS pump. Sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I sent the ABS unit to them got it back fitted it and speedo works,abs/handbrake light out. So happy with the fix. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts