Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the last week my ABS ligth comes on for a split second while I am pulling off from a stand still? Is this normal?

Also my Hand brake light seems to have started to come on while I am pulling off and sometimes while I am just cruising! I am really starting to get worried that on my drive home from work tonight my brakes might just fail! What do these lights mean?

Thank you so much for your comment!:eek:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
The " Handbrake Warning " is also a Hydraulic Fluid level warning so check that the fliud is at the correct level. The reservoir is common with the clutch system and the Clutch Slave cylinder is a common cause of leaking flluid.

I suppose that the ABS warning could be activated by low fluid levels but not too sure about this.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yup what he says, slightly low fluid level... check and top up and check under the car after standing for a while to see if theres a leak. clutch slave is common and relatively cheap to replace!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks a lot! Where can i get the fluid from? Is it dangerous for me to drive the car home with low fluid? The Hand brake light only started coming on today

·
16,370 Posts
A bit late to advise re driving home !

Any motor store/Factor/ Halfords etc will supply the fluid. I think it's " Dot 4 " but not sure, just ask for advice when you go to buy it.

However you should not lose any fluid at all so any loss must be investigated, a leak in the braking system is of course potentially dangerous but the chances are it will be the Clutch Slave Cylinder, not really dangerous but could be very inconvenient, check it out soonest. As said above the replacement of the Clutch Slave cylinder is no big deal so don't delay, check it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got home safe and back to work! Noticed the brake isn't quite feeling right so today I am going to WALK to the nearest motor store to buy some. Once I have I will drop her into a garage to have it investigated.

Thank you so much for the advice. i will let you know what happens!

·
16,370 Posts
If you have only lost a little fluid it really should not affect the feel of the brakes unless you do have a leak in the braking system. This would let fluid out and air in and would give you the symptom where the brake pedal has to be pumped a few times before it feels solid and loses the spongy feeling.

Mostly it is the Clutch Slave cylinder that leaks and unless you have lost just about all the fluid from the reservoir it would not affect the brakes at all.

I think you are wise to get a check done asap and hope that it turns out to be a minor problem, which I think it will. :)

Good luck and let us know how you go.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
as said usually the clutch slave. can you hear a hissing sound when you pump the brake pedal.. i had a leak in the servo causing it to be hard to stamp on the pedal because of the lack of vacuum but also leaked fluid causing the levels to drop. heres hoping the clutch slave is the problem as i have had to have both jobs done and apparently very rare but def. very expensive is the brake prob, including a breakers replacement servo it cost me just over £1k to replace.... bloody place to put it up behind the dash???

·
16,370 Posts
as said usually the clutch slave. can you hear a hissing sound when you pump the brake pedal.. i had a leak in the servo causing it to be hard to stamp on the pedal because of the lack of vacuum but also leaked fluid causing the levels to drop. heres hoping the clutch slave is the problem as i have had to have both jobs done and apparently very rare but def. very expensive is the brake prob, including a breakers replacement servo it cost me just over £1k to replace.... bloody place to put it up behind the dash???
:( This is a nasty one, I've never thought about where the brake servo is but now you mention it.......

If your brakes just feel spongy it's not likely to be the servo, just air in the system. If the brake pedal needs a lot more pushing and the pedal feels very hard it could be a Servo problem. Check this by pushing the brake pedal a few times with the engine running and remember how the pedal feels. Then switch the engine off and wait a few minutes and try the pedal again, it should feel much harder.

Let's hope that the problem isn't the servo, have to say that there seem to be very few Servo problems reported on here, perhaps you were just unlucky Neil ?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
very unlucky... my mechanic said never again, had to remove the pedals, pedal box, clutch cylinder??, move the fuseboard, remove steering wheel and column, unbolt and shift dash slightly to ease access, remove cover unbolt servo brackets and disconnect from master in engine bay, squeeze it out and replce and refit, said it was made unbearable by the sheer physics of working in the footwell for long periods of time.

·
16,370 Posts
very unlucky... my mechanic said never again, had to remove the pedals, pedal box, clutch cylinder??, move the fuseboard, remove steering wheel and column, unbolt and shift dash slightly to ease access, remove cover unbolt servo brackets and disconnect from master in engine bay, squeeze it out and replce and refit, said it was made unbearable by the sheer physics of working in the footwell for long periods of time.
Not nice. :( Years ago on my old Alfetta had a problem with the heater blower motor and after discussions with the mechanic decided to leave it broken, apparently it was the first thing fitted inside the cabin and would have been a three day job to replace it. Of course you don't have that option with a Brake Servo.

Ah well, at least for you it's over with, lets hope S2 doesn't have to face anything like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to a shopt and bought dome DOT 4 fluid. Have topped it up and everything seems fine. Keeping an eye on it to see if the level starts to drop.

Will take it into a garage within the next couple of days. I really hope it's not as bad as Neil's problem! I can't be faced with another heart breaking bill like that in the same year!

Just a bit of news as I was searching for a garage on the net last night. Veloces are doing services for £99 + Vat until the 15th of September for anyone who is due a service! My service is due, should I just book her in and if there is a problem they will find it during the service? Would it work out cheaper to have it done during a service?

·
16,370 Posts
I went to a shopt and bought dome DOT 4 fluid. Have topped it up and everything seems fine. Keeping an eye on it to see if the level starts to drop.

Will take it into a garage within the next couple of days. I really hope it's not as bad as Neil's problem! I can't be faced with another heart breaking bill like that in the same year!

Just a bit of news as I was searching for a garage on the net last night. Veloces are doing services for £99 + Vat until the 15th of September for anyone who is due a service! My service is due, should I just book her in and if there is a problem they will find it during the service? Would it work out cheaper to have it done during a service?
:thumbs: Good news. Just keep an eye on the level and if the brakes feel OK there probably isn't much to worry about. If, as is likely, it's the Clutch Slave then you can get it done for about £100inc. One symptom of a leak here is that the Clutch pedal can stay down, needing you to lift it up somehow before the next clutch operation is needed, not the most convenient thing in the world !

A service would not necessarily find a problem such as this. If the level is correct when you take it in then they would probably not be looking too hard for leaks. In an ideal world they would of course find things like this but bitter experience shows that this is not the case.

I don't think any repairs done during a service would be any cheaper than just the repair, in a case like yours if you are losing any appreciable amount of fluid it's best to sort it out quickly. If you are losing only a teaspoon or so over a couple of weeks the temptation may be to just leave it but what may happen is that the component could suddenly fail completely leaving you stranded or with brake failure, ( if the leak is in the braking system rather than the clutch ) for what it's worth my advice would be to fix it sooner rather than later, assuming that you do in fact have a leak.

Have not looked at the Veloces offer but suspect for that money all you'd get is an oil and filter change, top up washer bottle, check of tyre pressures and other naff stuff. Maybe I'm wrong and it would be a good deal. For instance the indy where I take mine strips the brakes and cleans them as part of a basic service, earlier this year I got a MoT, Oil & Filters, all fluids checked/ topped up and general once over for the outrageous price of £120 ! Check and see what Veloces are actually offering, it if it's just basically an oil change I wouldn't bother.

Seem to have gone on a bit here, I'll stop now ! Hope you sort out the basic problem soon, good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts