Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Sunday everyone,
Just throwing this out there in the hope that someone has had this as a previous fault.......
I've got ABS/ASR warning notifications coming up on the dash of my 147, I've had a multiecuscan connected (with the green lead) and it is saying that it "can't connect to the ECU", it connects fine when checking other things, just the ABS ECU doesn't communicate :confused:
I'm wondering if the actual ECU may be busted? all the fuses are OK, the battery is fully charged and the car has hardly moved over the last few weeks.
It literally worked one day, but not the next, without even driving it (apart from reversing it up my drive about 5 metres).
I was hoping the ECU scanner would tell me what is wrong, vut as it can't even see the ECU I'm pretty much in the dark, I don't really want to start swapping sensors and things about without having at least a ball-park idea of where the fault it.
Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.......

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Unless you've got the diagnostic lead wired correctly it won't connect to the ABS ECU.

My money is on a low battery, they're very sensitive to this - especially as you say the car has barely moved for five weeks. Doing a voltage test on it won't give an accurate reading as it's to do with the load and availability of power rather than just voltage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you used the green adapter lead before? Perhaps the lead is faulty. Can you try it in another Alfa or use someone else's equipment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you used the green adapter lead before? Perhaps the lead is faulty. Can you try it in another Alfa or use someone else's equipment.
Never used the lead before, but it is brand new and it can read things like non ABS faults and previous service log, etc, which is why I thought it was specifically the ABS ECU? :confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Never used the lead before, but it is brand new and it can read things like non ABS faults and previous service log, etc, which is why I thought it was specifically the ABS ECU? :confused:

But to access the engine ECU your doing it without the green adapter lead, so perhaps the green lead is faulty. See this following link:

Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars (Powered by FiatECUScan)

If you look at the information about adapter cable 1, you should be able to test your green lead with a multimeter, to make sure it is wired correctly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you've got the diagnostic lead wired correctly it won't connect to the ABS ECU.

My money is on a low battery, they're very sensitive to this - especially as you say the car has barely moved for five weeks. Doing a voltage test on it won't give an accurate reading as it's to do with the load and availability of power rather than just voltage.
I have had ABS and ASR faults with a low battery before, but they disappeared last time after I charged it! and they were only coming up becasue the battery was proper running out of juice and was barely turning the starter motor over...............I know I said the car has barely moved, but I meant physically, it has been started every so often and the battery charged up between starts (mainly becasue that was the fault last time) and now the battery is fully charged, has a good healthy output and the alternator works OK too.
:cry:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbs: Thanks for the link,I think I'm going to check the lead with my meter just to be sure.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another thing worth checking, disconnect the battery and remove the block connector to the ABS ECU. Sometimes corrosion can occur inside. I found spraying the pins with some contact cleaner and giving them a very gentle brush with a soft clean/new paint brush helps remove corrosion and the excess cleaner.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
...or use my modified lead :D that'll work ! as hundreds of AO members can testify !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update,
whilst taking the front seats out of my car (to clean chocolate milkshake out of them) I think I have accidentally cleared the ABS/ASR fault!
Because I had to disconnect the airbag wiring under each seat I disconnected the battery, and in the time it took for my seats to be washed and dry out the fault has cleared. Naturally I suspected this was a load of old Bulls**t but looking through threads on here, I noticed quite alot on resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for at least 45 minutes. Mine was ovbiouly disconnected for a lot longer than this, and apart from that, nothing else was done to the car, it has been several days now and nothing has come back up again.
Most curious...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts