Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had a split power steering pipe the other day. I replaced this myself, and all is now well with that.

But to gain access to the pipe I had to remove the battery and the battery tray. I also jacked the car up and removed the passenger side front wheel.

After putting it all back together I now get the ABS/EBC/VDC errors on the dash.

I've double checked everything I've touched and ensured I havnt unplugged anything by mistake. i've even removed some connections and refitted to ensure a good connection.

I did a search on here and from that i've also checked:

(1) brake pedal switch (looks fine but the fault appears before you even press the pedal so doubt its that)
(2) ABS module big connector (removed, and WD40 applied - it looked fine inside anyway)
(3) checked wheel sensor and it all looks ok as far as i can see - no wire broken
(4) checked fuses
(5) tried and ECU reset
(6) driven about 100 miles now with about 3 days of cold starts - still happens.
(7) handbrake doesnt appear to be stuck on - i've pulled the cables and i can easily push the car fowards and backwards myself without any effort.

I've exhausted everything i've read on here that may be a possible cause.

My questions;

(1) anything else i can try?
(2) how much does a Alfa dealer generally charge to check something out like this? the car is a late 2002 facelift model and i dont want to get hit by a big bill for this. should a smaller garage with standard bosch diagnostics be able to figure it out?
(3) one thing i was unsure on is the 60amp(?) yellow fuse that is ontop of the battery for the ABS.... i tested it with a tester and got different amps before and after the fuse - is that normal or is the fuse dodgy? it looks visually ok - not sure what it looks like if its blown??? anyone know what this type of fuse is called as it may be worth replacing on the off-chance??? are there any other fuses for the ABS? I couldnt find any specific fuses int he manual for the EBD or VDC stuff.... does it share the ABS one(S)?

thanks!

Derek

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would have a proper look at the (60 yellow) fusable link- don't just rely on the meter, the only way to see the actual fuse part is to carefully break apart the plastic casing and have a look. They're very prone to corrosion/fracture and you could well have disturbed it when doing your other work.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
when i had my stilo and 147, i got these warnings if i removed the battery jacked the car up and put it back down again with the wheels in a different position, i.e to the left or right. the position sensor went a$s backwards.

as the postion it thought it was in was wrong. all i did was turn the steering wheel full lock to the left, then right, then back to centre. you could try that, it may work;)

ave you tried driving it and applying the brakes a few times, a few clear starts can get rid of them too;), you know, start it, turn off, start again etc:thumbs:

if not

try and get another fuse, not expensive;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would have a proper look at the (60 yellow) fusable link- don't just rely on the meter, the only way to see the actual fuse part is to carefully break apart the plastic casing and have a look. They're very prone to corrosion/fracture and you could well have disturbed it when doing your other work.
i have also had the same issues...ie. vdc,abs...etc warning lights come on..and it turned out to be the mentioned fusable link near the battery positive terminal!...it does also seem to affect the VDC and EBD..although manual says its only the ABS...but all the systems are probably linkd...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
a few years back, my abs and handbrake warning lights lit up at the same time, which i was lead to believe was a problem with the ebd and/or abs. i went to the expense of changing fuses and then replacing the abs pump, but the lights were still lit.
after a bit more hassle, i tried a different battery (even though a multi-meter showed my own battery to be fully charged), the lights went out and they haven't come back on since - aparently even a slight drop in battery charge can play havoc with the dashboard warning lights......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i replaced the yellow/red ABS fuse on the battery itself, which was indeed fractured, but you couldnt tell.

fixed the problem

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lucky you. When I had this issue it did turn out to be the wheel speed sensor. A little more expansive than a fuse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi i have the same problem i have checked the yellow fuse its not broken cant see any crack, needhelp anyone know what else could it be?

·
Registered
88 Posts
as judge joolz said try recharching the battery diconect all abs plugs on the loom and reconnect replace battery remember to note radio codes

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have this issue every time if I push a break pedal, on the first time on a drive even on a stright road, steeling wheel on it's center position.
I checked connection below steeling wheel, it seem to be fine. where else to check?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My battery just replace 6 month ago.
Today is not hapen just quick like that it almost 5 minutes after I drive along the road. It occure during I press the break pedal while the front wheel fall to a small hole on the road.

Yesterday I just found this thing drop on the carpet below the facia. Is this a VDC sensor? Where it should be fit? DSC06683.jpg

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Yesterday I just found this thing drop on the carpet below the facia. Is this a VDC sensor? Where it should be fit? View attachment 97436
A quick search on the part number shows it to be a "sensor, querbeschleunigung", or lateral acceleration sensor so yes, it will be a sensor associated with the VDC system. Where it should be, I have no idea!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of the brake light switch??

I have been having ABS/ESP failure problems on touching the brake pedal. I stuck my hand under the dashboard at the weekend and poked randomly at things...it seems to have temporarily solved the problem..but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for.

I'm guessing there's a loose connection somewhere and I luckily prodded it...but what exactly am I looking for?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts